starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High blood pressure and SS diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It is definitely true we don't consume enough potassium per day, though the effect of this on blood pressure or other outcomes is not terribly well established (though they've tried). Vitamins though? That's fabrication.

I have, though I do not remember the exact episode or interview. Depending on the previous level of fitness and modality, it may be somewhat stressful- but I'd agree with you in general.
    He doesn't particularly suggest vitamin supplements (except B vits as edible yeast and D, K2 if in Northern latitudes-but that's just general), only that a high carb-particularly high sugar diet depletes-many of the nutrients that are necessary to build muscle.

Anyway, I did the 30g before and after as you advised and I shall monitor BP carefully. I did milled porridge oats with water. Have to say I enjoyed eating something that wasn't a green vegetable, fat or meat. Didn't detect any difference during training, but certainly didn't perform any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    He doesn't particularly suggest vitamin supplements (except B vits as edible yeast and D, K2 if in Northern latitudes-but that's just general), only that a high carb-particularly high sugar diet depletes-many of the nutrients that are necessary to build muscle.

Anyway, I did the 30g before and after as you advised and I shall monitor BP carefully. I did milled porridge oats with water. Have to say I enjoyed eating something that wasn't a green vegetable, fat or meat. Didn't detect any difference during training, but certainly didn't perform any worse.
    Yea so I'm not sure why you're continuing with defending this guy. Every thing you've said he's mentioned is quackery. Not sure I have anything else to say about that.

And, nice- though porridge does sound a little, ahem, bland.

Yea so I'm not sure why you're continuing with defending this guy. Every thing you've said he's mentioned is quackery. Not sure I have anything else to say about that.

And, nice- though porridge does sound a little, ahem, bland.
    Only putting the record straight on what he has and hasn't said. Something in what he has said appears to have lowered my BP, so it can't be all quackery. I'm told by people that I shouldn't be lifting weights either at my age; that starting strength is also quackery, but hey, here I am :-)

Thank you for taking the time to reply Jordan, I know from your interviews that you work extremely hard and long hours and really appreciate that you take time out to give advice which would not be easy to come by elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Only putting the record straight on what he has and hasn't said. Something in what he has said appears to have lowered my BP, so it can't be all quackery. I'm told by people that I shouldn't be lifting weights either at my age; that starting strength is also quackery, but hey, here I am :-)

Thank you for taking the time to reply Jordan, I know from your interviews that you work extremely hard and long hours and really appreciate that you take time out to give advice which would not be easy to come by elsewhere.
    I understand- happy to help. I'd just put more stock in your weight loss and increased activity helping your BP over anything else, ya know?

I understand- happy to help. I'd just put more stock in your weight loss and increased activity helping your BP over anything else, ya know?
    Just before I went on BP meds I began working out at home with weights whilst walking daily. I got my weight down to where it is today, but my BP remained stubbornly around 150/90 on average. To be fair the GP was not forcing me to use meds, but, by that time I had convinced myself I was going to stroke out (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac Jordan).

As I said previously, I don't know why it's dropped this time. I think it's more of a holistic approach with more time dedicated to quality of sleep and possibly the diet has had both a physical and mental effect in that I'm far calmer. My mind just wouldn't shut down and that prevented me sleeping properly.

Anyway, I'm following your advice regarding the oats and not over thinking it. I'm doing 30g of carbs, which is 40g of oats prior and post work out. I presume that's right ? I've noticed that it allows me to spend more time lifting, which means I'm actually doing warm up sets building up the weight to my target weight on NLP.

As you said porridge was bland-how are you eating yours ?

Sigh, let's move on.

As you said porridge was bland-how are you eating yours ?
    She was pretty vanilla too.

starting strength coach development program
    Sigh, let's move on.

She was pretty vanilla too.
    Amphibolous statement. ;-) Might give that a go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12