starting strength gym

Thread: I want my cake, and I want to eat it...Macros question

Default I want my cake, and I want to eat it...Macros question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

I'm struggling with trying to figure out if I should be using Fat loss or Recomp guidance in your "To be and beast" article. I'm sitting at 25% BF (Navy method) and seem to be stuck. I really like to get to 20% and using fat loss macros has helped me shed some fat but my lifts are stalling. Obviously eating more would help but as whenever I get focus on eating for strength my BF increase seems to outpace my strength gains. Outside of training I have a pretty sedentary job.

My stats, 39yo, 245lb, 6'2"
    5s are:
    SQ: 355
    BP: 255
    DL: 425

I'm running the Power building program written by Andy but have had a few setbacks trying to lift on a moving ship for 6 months. I do HITT after most workouts on a rower. Now that I'm returning to dry land what would you recommend in terms of macro goals. Should I focus on getting BF down or do you think that I need to focus on strength / muscle gain then slowly shed fat. Also do you think that a TM 4 days split would be more suitable to my goal? Any advice is appreciated!

What is your waist and what were you eating previously?

I fluctuate between 41-42 inches (across the belly button, I have an innie in case you were wondering)

When on "fat loss" macros I typically eat 4-6 egg a day, one slice of bacon, few packets of oatmeal, lunch is 2 chicken breast and rice or potatoes and some sort of raw veggie. For dinner it's chicken and veggies only. If I'm squatting or deadlifting that day I typically indulge on a rice krispy treat 20-30 min pre workout. Not the ideal diet but it's an aircraft carrier, not whole foods.

The math ends up right in line with the fat loss macros you recommend. Unfortunately, I'm loosing some fat but lifts are stalling. I want to keep my lifts moving without packing on more BF. You'd call me a fluffy intermediate / advanced novice or perhaps something much more hurtful...

forgot to mention that I make up the protein gap with whey...4-5 scoops daily.

So without knowing any macro or calorie data it's hard to make any meaningful suggestions. I'd advise gradual weight loss in this case while starting at 1x/wk conditioning and titrating as needed.

Jordan,

I totally get hat you can't do much with the info provided. I have very little control of my food selections at sea and have not way to weigh or measure. I guess my question, speaking generally, is; what do you think is best for a 40yo at 25%BF that is in the intermediate phase of training? Fat loss or recomp?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemauro View Post
    Jordan,

I totally get hat you can't do much with the info provided. I have very little control of my food selections at sea and have not way to weigh or measure. I guess my question, speaking generally, is; what do you think is best for a 40yo at 25%BF that is in the intermediate phase of training? Fat loss or recomp?
    With your weight, waist, and level of training- I would suggest a gradual weight loss while still prioritizing strength training.