starting strength gym

Thread: Adding activity expenditure to baseline calorie intake?

Default Adding activity expenditure to baseline calorie intake?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan, First of all thanks for all of the information you produce and share. It is a great benefit to the community.

First of all Male, 46, 71.5” tall 223.4 lbs about 5 years consistent training since I restarted in 2012.

The question first then you can read the details if you want.

What is your take on increasing energy intake for activity levels?

I have never really tracked my food well, I estimated protein to make sure I was getting enough but otherwise simply eyeballed my food but it was becoming apparent I need to dial in my diet better.(body comp, performance and health outlooks staring at the road to age 50.

I am now using my fitness pal, it has been 4 weeks now, which I linked to my Fitbit tracker. The fitbit monitors my activity and training sessions and adds calories to the baseline. At first I was a little hesitant to follow the additional energy needs the tracker was giving me due to the reputation that it was inaccurate but eventually I ate a little more and more to conform to the recommended energy requirements due to activity and counterintuitively I am seeing results. I have lost 2.6 pounds. Waist is down an inch (4 weeks) my training performance and work capacity are improving.

I plugged in my baseline to lose .5 pounds a week which comes out to 2430 calories. However last week I ate an average of 3412 calories,( slowly up from week one @3100) Daily for the past week average macros were 258p 267 c 88f 40 fiber, the sum of the remaining calories would go to alcoholic drinks such as red wine and whiskey. Usually I aim for a few more carbs and less fat but I cooked a brisket this past weekend and adjusted.

Although I was hesitant to believe the recommendations from the tracker, the closer I get to consuming the recommended amount the better the outcome. I am just trying to get my head wrapped around what the science is behind this. I can’t argue with the outcomes so far.

What is your take on increasing energy intake for activity levels?
    Don't do it preemptively.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Don't do it preemptively.
    I don’t know what I am doing well enough to be preemptive. I am trusting the technology maybe a bit too much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    I don’t know what I am doing well enough to be preemptive. I am trusting the technology maybe a bit too much though.
    Yea- there's no wearable tech that is sophisticated enough to influence training or nutrition management decisions. It's all junk being marketed by know-nothings.