starting strength gym

Thread: Morning Shake and Fat Content

Default Morning Shake and Fat Content

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I'm a 24 yr old male, 190lbs, 6'. I make myself a shake in the morning consisting of:

Milk: 3 cups
    Rolled Oats : 3/4 cup
    Bran Buds: 1/4 cup
    Peanut Butter: 30g
    Protein Powder: 2 scoops (47g of protein)

This totals 1135 Kcal , 85g Protein, 107g Carbs, 45g Fat.

I know you don't usually recommend that much fat all in one meal so I usually drink half of this at 8:30am and then the other half around 11:30.
    So that gives me about 550 Kcal, 42g Protein, 50g Carbs, and 22 g of Fat.
    Is 22 g of fat in one meal still kind of on the high side?

If I drink this for breakfast and lunch, I'm only at 1100 Kcal total for the day. I'd like to get more in there earlier rather than have to eat more later in the day from less portable foods. Would you recommend increasing the carbs in this shake first then?
    Or is it more advisable to stay with this shake and increase my food later on in the day?

I usually work out at 5 so my lunch meal after the shake would be at 2:30. If I follow the 3 hour MPS rule, I'd be eating again at 5:30. Should I just eat a high carb meal around 3:30-4:00 consisting of about 30-50g of carbs instead? I usually finish my workout at 7 at the latest.

Thanks for your help despite your busy schedule!

If I drink this for breakfast and lunch, I'm only at 1100 Kcal total for the day. I'd like to get more in there earlier rather than have to eat more later in the day from less portable foods. Would you recommend increasing the carbs in this shake first then?
    I would increase carbs, yes.

Or is it more advisable to stay with this shake and increase my food later on in the day?
    You could do either. It doesn't really matter.

I usually work out at 5 so my lunch meal after the shake would be at 2:30. If I follow the 3 hour MPS rule, I'd be eating again at 5:30. Should I just eat a high carb meal around 3:30-4:00 consisting of about 30-50g of carbs instead? I usually finish my workout at 7 at the latest.
    Eat your meal after lunch at 3pm, give 2 hrs prior to training, then eat again before 8. You'll be fine.

Okay thanks a lot man!