starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I stay or should I go?

Default Should I stay or should I go?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm thinking about interrupting my linear progression to lose some weight. I'm getting a little fluffy here. I just hit 240 on my squat. I've slowed the loading down to 2 1/2 lbs because I felt my form wasn't quite keeping up. I would be farther along but my back went out about a month ago so I deloaded and I've missed a few workouts. That's another reason I dropped to 2 1/2 lbs. I think the extra fat may be contributing to the back pain as well.

My numbers are still going up and I am putting on muscle. But given the back trouble and the tightness of the pants, maybe a change is in order. Is there a nutritional answer I can try first, or is it okay to hit the pause button and cut the fat? Or just say fuck it and keep going?

It is very difficult to answer this question without any information at all pertaining to you.

If you go there will be trouble,
    if you stay it will be double.

Yes, of course. I’m 46, 6’1”, about 241lbs currently. I started on a different program this summer and then discovered Starting Strength. I read up on it and then decided to follow the SS program and I’ve been doing that for a few months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    Yes, of course. I’m 46, 6’1”, about 241lbs currently. I started on a different program this summer and then discovered Starting Strength. I read up on it and then decided to follow the SS program and I’ve been doing that for a few months now.
    What's your waist around your bellybutton?

About 47” I’m sad to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    About 47” I’m sad to report.
    You should absolutely lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Sorry to jump on this one but... how? Should he continue with barbell training and reduce carbs/fats a bit or drop the barbell and concentrate on other methods? Would some immediate and quicker weight loss be more beneficial than continuing with barbell training and more gentle weight loss?

Jordan, does the 40" rule of thumb apply to shorter people as well, or would you drop it an inch or two? I'm 5'7" for reference

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I’m similar in stature. What # would you recommend he drop his waist down to? Under 40”?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast