starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I stay or should I go?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    All right, thanks Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Orange View Post
    Sorry to jump on this one but... how? Should he continue with barbell training and reduce carbs/fats a bit or drop the barbell and concentrate on other methods? Would some immediate and quicker weight loss be more beneficial than continuing with barbell training and more gentle weight loss?
    Why would he stop training? It is still productive even when in a calorie deficit/

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post
    Jordan, does the 40" rule of thumb apply to shorter people as well, or would you drop it an inch or two? I'm 5'7" for reference
    It applies to shorter people. >40" is a point where I would likely initiate a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    I’m similar in stature. What # would you recommend he drop his waist down to? Under 40”?
    Yes, at minimum.

How do you decide where to terminate a cut, generally? I'm sure it's multi-factorial but do you have a guideline where overall health is the primary goal? Waist to hip ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    How do you decide where to terminate a cut, generally? I'm sure it's multi-factorial but do you have a guideline where overall health is the primary goal? Waist to hip ratio?
    Too many possible factors to have a general rule of thumb here IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Why would he stop training? It is still productive even when in a calorie deficit/
    Just because his OP mentions interrupting/pausing the program. Your response was very direct so I wondered if there was a threshold where you would say "still do the main lifts but make lower calorie/more cardio a priority".

(Selfishly, I'm in the same boat and itching to get started on NLP but feel I need to lose 28lbs first...)
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 12-01-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Orange View Post
    Just because his OP mentions interrupting/pausing the program. Your response was very direct so I wondered if there was a threshold where you would say "still do the main lifts but make lower calorie/more cardio a priority".

(Selfishly, I'm in the same boat and itching to get started on NLP but feel I need to lose 28lbs first...)
    Yes there would be, if someone had a monster waist or frank cardiometabolic disease I would have them do both cardio and calorie restriction while still training.

Quick question: Is the measurement done relaxed or moderately flexed (like when one walks around in public)?

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    Quick question: Is the measurement done relaxed or moderately flexed (like when one walks around in public)?

Thanks!
    Standing up straight, relaxed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12