• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan,

I'm a male
    32 years old
    6'1"
    247 lbs

I'm definitely not skinny but also not obese. I'd guess around 20-22% body fat.

I take hctz/Losartan combo (12.5/50) for my blood pressure. It keeps my BP around 120-130/80. I am hesitant to supplement creatine due to possible interactions with the diuretic in my meds. I understand that I should consult my current PCP and I certainly will but when I told her I was lifting weights, she shook her head and said I should just "walk more and watch what I eat." That being said, I'm not too keen on her opinions of fitness. Can you offer any advice on my situation? (liability withheld, of course. I understand you're not my doctor)

Thank you for your time,

Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks for this. I would be interested to know what your waist measurement is and a recent fasting blood sugar to know more about you, as I'd wonder if advising weight loss is a good idea or not. I'd also need to know some training history to comment on that.

As far as the medication and the creatine, there are no interactions I have found in the literature with that medication or effect on blood pressure long term.That being said, depending on the variables above, we may have bigger fish to fry instead of if you should take creatine or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Aaron,

Thanks for this. I would be interested to know what your waist measurement is and a recent fasting blood sugar to know more about you, as I'd wonder if advising weight loss is a good idea or not. I'd also need to know some training history to comment on that.

As far as the medication and the creatine, there are no interactions I have found in the literature with that medication or effect on blood pressure long term.That being said, depending on the variables above, we may have bigger fish to fry instead of if you should take creatine or not.
    Measurements are as follows:

Waist (around belly button): 42"
    Inseam: 34"
    Chest (around nipples): 49"
    Neck: 17"
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Wingspan (fingertip to fingertip): 76"

I've been on my 2nd round of the novice LP since the beginning of September, with one reset due to Hurricane Harvey. I'm currently going to advanced novice/early intermediate programming this week. My currents lifts are:

Squat: 275x3x5 (starting to grind)
    DL: 320x1x5 (progressing with 5 lb jumps)
    Press: 140x3x5 (grinding)
    Bench: 225x3x5 (grinding)

I don't do power cleans due to a congenital back issue "sacralized 6th lumbar vertebrae with bulging disc at l5-L6 and minor spondylolisthesis" (per surgeon) Any type of sudden impact or jarring tends to aggravate the condition.

I have fasting labs due the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully, I will be able to provide glucose numbers at that time. If not, would a regular fingertip stab meter work after waking? I have one of those relatively available.

Thank you again for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any additional info.

-Aaron

Aaron,

I know the limited value of anecdotal evidence but when I started taking creatine again this fall it had no effect on my blood pressure and I currently take 100/50 Losartan. My morning BP is normally around 115/70. I’m 62, 5’10”, 226 lbs and type 2 diabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    Measurements are as follows:

Waist (around belly button): 42"
    Inseam: 34"
    Chest (around nipples): 49"
    Neck: 17"
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Wingspan (fingertip to fingertip): 76"

I've been on my 2nd round of the novice LP since the beginning of September, with one reset due to Hurricane Harvey. I'm currently going to advanced novice/early intermediate programming this week. My currents lifts are:

Squat: 275x3x5 (starting to grind)
    DL: 320x1x5 (progressing with 5 lb jumps)
    Press: 140x3x5 (grinding)
    Bench: 225x3x5 (grinding)

I don't do power cleans due to a congenital back issue "sacralized 6th lumbar vertebrae with bulging disc at l5-L6 and minor spondylolisthesis" (per surgeon) Any type of sudden impact or jarring tends to aggravate the condition.

I have fasting labs due the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully, I will be able to provide glucose numbers at that time. If not, would a regular fingertip stab meter work after waking? I have one of those relatively available.

Thank you again for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any additional info.

-Aaron
    With your diet and current training, are you losing any weight?

With your diet and current training, are you losing any weight?
    I haven't made many changes to my diet other than consciously trying to get at least 200 grams of protein a day. Honestly, that's the only macro I remotely track. My average daily diet looks like this:

Breakfast at 5:30 am: bowl of honey-nut cheerios with whole milk and one scoop of whey protein
    Snack at 9:30 am: handful of raw almonds and a quest bar
    Lunch at noon: footlong subway sandwich (usually roasted chicken)
    Snack at 3:30-4: peanut butter sandwich
    Workout at 6:30 or 7 pm
    Dinner at 7:30 or 8: whatever the wife makes. Usually simple pasta/meat dish or chicken and rice
    Protein shake with one scoop of whey after dinner then usually in bed by 9:30-10 at the latest. Rinse and repeat.

When I started the LP, I was around 230 lbs. this morning, after waking, I weigh 245 lbs. I have been hovering around 245-250 for about a 4-6 weeks. I would say I'm not losing weight but I'm also not gaining weight.

I’m in on this. I’ve been wounding the same thing lately. I’ve recently have stopped taking it. I wasn’t drinking enough water and drinking to much coffee, so I believe that was my main problem.

I'm no scientist, but it seems to me you're gaining weight. I would start losing weight, now.

I'm no scientist, but it seems to me you're gaining weight. I would start losing weight, now.
    I have certainly gained weight since starting the LP. I just haven't gained any additional weight in the past month. My waist measurement actually got smaller by 2" over the course of the LP.

I will start to reduce calories. (I picked the wrong week....) I know I eat too many carbohydrates so those will be the first thing that gets cut down. I have been as light as 185 lbs (skinny fat and weak) and I'm currently the heaviest (and strongest) I've ever been. I think a good goal would be 210-220 or 15-20% body fat. Does that seem reasonable to you? I won't worry about creatine supplementation right now. I'll just get my weight lower and see what that does for me. Thank you again!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    I have certainly gained weight since starting the LP. I just haven't gained any additional weight in the past month. My waist measurement actually got smaller by 2" over the course of the LP.

I will start to reduce calories. (I picked the wrong week....) I know I eat too many carbohydrates so those will be the first thing that gets cut down. I have been as light as 185 lbs (skinny fat and weak) and I'm currently the heaviest (and strongest) I've ever been. I think a good goal would be 210-220 or 15-20% body fat. Does that seem reasonable to you? I won't worry about creatine supplementation right now. I'll just get my weight lower and see what that does for me. Thank you again!
    That does seem reasonable, but not within the next year. It's going to take longer, as this process often does. Be patient, keep training, and over time you'll get there. Right now however, you probably need to lose weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast