starting strength gym

Thread: Supplements Expire?

Default Supplements Expire?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan et al.,

I have some old (years) supplements in my cupboard. These include BCAAs, Beta-Alanine, D-Aspartic Acid, etc. The lot came from True Nutrition and they've been kept in air-tight packaging. Per the labels, they expired 11/17. Are these things really expired? What does a shelf life look like for some of the major supplements?

Also, side question: Do you see any problems that may come up from mixing these supplements together (dry) in a ratio typical to a serving dose? I imagine this is not very different from your blend of supplements.

Thanks!

I am not sure about how they manufacture their supplements, but I wouldn't chance it.

With regards to expirations, the date sometimes does not necessarily indicate when a medication is no longer effective. There are expired drugs that are safe to take even those that expired a year ago, that's according to a Harvard University publication that I've read.

^^A while back I found some month expired Allmax protein powder in the pantry and being a cheap bastard, took a few scoops. Screaming bubbleguts 30 mins later. Not worth. Ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlene Dukes View Post
    With regards to expirations, the date sometimes does not necessarily indicate when a medication is no longer effective. There are expired drugs that are safe to take even those that expired a year ago, that's according to a Harvard University publication that I've read.
    I'm certain that there are many expiration dates for ingestible things that very conservative, if not downright arbitrary. However, I still feel that without knowing the decay/spoil time interval needed for each ingredient in a particular environment the expiration date is probably a good metric to go by.