starting strength gym

Thread: 4 day Texas Method - Back Extension substitute

Default 4 day Texas Method - Back Extension substitute

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan,

The 4-day Texas method in the "12 Ways To Skin The Texas Method" has squats, power cleans and back extensions on the 3rd day. The article gives several options of strength lifts to substitute instead of the cleans. What would you recommend as a substitute for the back extensions on the 3rd day in a home gym that has only bar, plates, half rack with a pull-up bar and flat bench?

Deadlifts or pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Deadlifts or pull ups.
    The clean substitutes were all deadlift variations, viz., 2 count Paused Deadlift, Tempo Deadlift, Halting DL, Snatch Grip Deadlift,Beltless Deadlift and Deficit DL. Is it prudent to follow one deadlift variation routine immediately with another?

Also, day-1 has chin-ups and day-3 has pull-ups already.

Another question is, day-4 has ab work as the recommended last routine. Can you recommend an ab exercise that doesn't require more than moderate spinal flexion like sit-ups do? Preferably involving a barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    The clean substitutes were all deadlift variations, viz., 2 count Paused Deadlift, Tempo Deadlift, Halting DL, Snatch Grip Deadlift,Beltless Deadlift and Deficit DL. Is it prudent to follow one deadlift variation routine immediately with another?

Also, day-1 has chin-ups and day-3 has pull-ups already.

Another question is, day-4 has ab work as the recommended last routine. Can you recommend an ab exercise that doesn't require more than moderate spinal flexion like sit-ups do? Preferably involving a barbell.
    Sure, I guess it depends which variation you're running since I don't know exactly which one you're trying to do and info about you. I do think there's some value in chasing certain variations with other ones, but I think that is a bit too complex to suss out here.

I would probably just do paused DL off the cuff.

I would not recommend any barbell based ab work, but rather L sit, V sit, plank, tuck holds, ab wheel roll outs, or similar progressions (e.g. L sit and v sit progressions).

Sure, I guess it depends which variation you're running since I don't know exactly which one you're trying to do and info about you. I do think there's some value in chasing certain variations with other ones, but I think that is a bit too complex to suss out here.
    Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4
    BP x 5 x 5 SQ x 5 x 5 BP x 5RM SQ x 5 RM
    PR x 8 x 3 Power Cleans x 5 x 3 Press x 3 x 3 DL x 5 x 1
    Chins x max reps x 3 Back Extensions Pull ups x max reps x 3 Ab work

If I were to do the 4-day Texas method outlined in the 12-ways to skin Texas method article, what could those variations of deadlifts be to replace PCs and BEs on day 2? Is good morning an acceptable substitute for BEs?

What would be the percentages for the 8x3 press on day-1 and the 3 x 3 press on day-3?

I would not recommend any barbell based ab work, but rather L sit, V sit, plank, tuck holds, ab wheel roll outs, or similar progressions (e.g. L sit and v sit progressions).
    A 1 minute L sit or V sit progression is adequate for the ab work?

If I were to do the 4-day Texas method outlined in the 12-ways to skin Texas method article, what could those variations of deadlifts be to replace PCs and BEs on day 2? Is good morning an acceptable substitute for BEs?

What would be the percentages for the 8x3 press on day-1 and the 3 x 3 press on day-3?

A 1 minute L sit or V sit progression is adequate for the ab work?

I would do beltless deadlifts @ 70-75% of Day 4 and then chin ups. I wouldn't do good mornings.

There is no percentage for 8 x 3 sets for press that's terribly accurate, but it should be ~ 12-15% less than the 3x3.

I would spend ~5-7 min or so working on the progression vs 1 min.

I would do beltless deadlifts @ 70-75% of Day 4 and then chin ups. I wouldn't do good mornings.

There is no percentage for 8 x 3 sets for press that's terribly accurate, but it should be ~ 12-15% less than the 3x3.

I would spend ~5-7 min or so working on the progression vs 1 min.
    What percentage of the weight of the 5RM press should the 3x3 be? Or rather what is the percentage relationship between the ID 5RM, 8x3 and the 3x3?

starting strength coach development program
    What percentage of the weight of the 5RM press should the 3x3 be? Or rather what is the percentage relationship between the ID 5RM, 8x3 and the 3x3?
    It depends.

If the ID is a true 5RM, that's about 85% of 1RM.

8 x 3 @ 7-8 should be ~71-74% of 1RM.

3x3 should be ~ 82-85%