starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel during workout

Default Fuel during workout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone have any drinks they feel adds fuel during your workout? I have been running on empty by the time I hit the work set of the DL.
    Usually eat light protein and carb source about an hour or 2 before the seesion.
    I don’t do caffeine with the workouts, because I work at night and sleep afterward

Quote Originally Posted by ERdocDD View Post
    Anyone have any drinks they feel adds fuel during your workout? I have been running on empty by the time I hit the work set of the DL.
    Usually eat light protein and carb source about an hour or 2 before the seesion.
    I don’t do caffeine with the workouts, because I work at night and sleep afterward
    You can try a scoop of whey mixed with water or 5g BCAAs mixed with gatorade (cut 50/50 with water) or swishing and spitting pickle juice or sucking on a bouillon cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    swishing and spitting pickle juice or sucking on a bouillon cube.
    I honestly cannot tell if you are pulling his leg or serious. Is this really a thing? If so, what exactly does it do? All I can think of is the salt maybe helping retain water. Did I miss a joke perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by BigViffer View Post
    I honestly cannot tell if you are pulling his leg or serious. Is this really a thing? If so, what exactly does it do? All I can think of is the salt maybe helping retain water. Did I miss a joke perhaps?
    It's legit. Evidence to suggest having salty stuff in your mouth without even swallowing improves performance.

I'll wait for the joke.

heh... what if I just want to swallow? I'd prefer to just add it to water, than have to spit it out.

MFP suggests 220mg per cup of vlasic pickle juice, sounds low though. Maybe I'll just try a small amount, and placebo myself.

.... Pickle Power!

You can try a scoop of whey mixed with water or 5g BCAAs mixed with gatorade (cut 50/50 with water) or swishing and spitting pickle juice or sucking on a bouillon cube.
    What if I like 31g of gatorade powder mixed in 32oz of water AND 1/2 a sour pickle AND some sour patch kids?

It's legit. Evidence to suggest having salty stuff in your mouth without even swallowing improves performance.

I'll wait for the joke.
    I thought this is my own super secret, but it's true (n=2). I just take a small pinch/few grains of pure salt in my mouth for very heavy PR attempts. I don't know why, but it works. For fear of getting used to it, I only do it when I really need it, as an extra boost.

Don't know about the pickle juice or bouillon cube. Sounds more nauseating than helpful. I hate even the smell of food while training (now, afterwards, that's something else entirely...).
    Try the salt.

While that is certainly ripe for comment and joking, I have just finished reading a bunch or article that corroborate it. Absolutely fascinating. A small excerpt for anyone that was as incredulous as I:

Dr Lindsay Bottoms, a senior lecturer in exercise physiology at Hertfordshire University and one of the study's authors, said swilling a sports drink had the same effect as swallowing it for exercise lasting between 30 and 60 minutes.

The research for the study involved 12 club-level fencers each performing two trials.

In one trial they rinsed their mouths with a sports drink containing maltodextrin for five seconds and on a separate occasion they rinsed with water.

The flavourless nature of the sugar meant the fencers did not know which substance they had swilled.

They then performed a lunge test - the most common attacking motion in fencing - to determine accuracy.

The fencers then carried out other exercises while stopping to rinse their mouths either with water or the sports drink.

They then repeated the accuracy test.

The results revealed those who had rinsed with maltodextrin improved their accuracy by an average of 6.4%, while the accuracy of the fencers who rinsed with water dropped by 3.3%.

Another study by the University of Birmingham appears to back up the findings, after scientists there found that cyclists who rinsed their mouths with a drink containing maltodextrin performed significantly better in one-hour time trials than cyclists who only rinsed with water.
    Of course the studies mentioned only specify fencing and cyclist, but that doesn't make the posit any fascinating. Thanks for the follow up.

I'll wait for the joke.
    Can confirm my girlfriend's performance has gone up exponentially.

starting strength coach development program
    Evidence to suggest having salty stuff in your mouth without even swallowing improves performance.
    But is it better swallowing or just having it in your mouth for a while and then spitting it out? For performance, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast