starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggnog vs Milk

Default Eggnog vs Milk

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

In the spirit of the holiday season, and just for fun and nuance, I wondered if you would care to comment on the benefits or disadvantages associated with replacing 1 gallon of milk a day, with a gallon of egg-nog per day.

Follow-up question, eggnog with rum or whiskey?

Dhurstell,

This is easily the best question I've gotten on here all month. Thanks for that

I'll admit, I was not up on my eggnog history prior to this question and it's somewhat interesting for culinary buffs and history nerds alike. After some digging, here is what I think about how egg nog should be made and GOMAD vs. GOENAD (not to be confused with GONAD).

The lineage of egg nog is hotly debated on the interwebz, but best I can tell is that most agree it comes from posset as a possible cold/flu adjunct remedy. Posset was a warm drink made from curdled milk + wine or ale + spices popularized in Britain.

The first time the term egg nog was used in print was in 1788:

A young man with a cormerant appetite, voraciously devoured, last week, at Connecticut farms, thirty raw eggs, a glass of egg nog, and another of brandy sling. (New-Jersey Journal, Mar. 26, 1788, p. 2)
    - Source

I would also probably now argue (after some research) that while the earliest versions of "egg nog" were probably made with a wine or ale as the alcohol source, Americans probably used rum predominantly. An early recipe from 1799 describes this:

The American travellers, before they pursued their journey, took a hearty draught each, according to custom, of egg-nog, a mixture composed of new milk, eggs, rum, and sugar, beat up together.
    Lending additional support to this is the large rum production in North East America at the time (prior to the sugar tariff). Seems likely they were using rum over brandy or whiskey in my opinion.

Still, I don't really care for rum in my egg nog and since this is my subforum....it's gonna be a whiskey blend. Now, let's compare nutrition on these bad boys:

1 Gallon of Egg Nog (Evan Williams)
    Cal 5488
    Fat 304g (Sat 181g)
    Carbs 550g (Sugar 342g)
    Protein 155g

1 Gallon of Milk (whole)
    Cal 2304
    Fat 128g (Sat 76g)
    Carb 180g (Sugar 204g)
    Protein 128g

For some nuance™, in a gallon of Evan Williams Egg Nog there is about 1/2 a gallon of whole milk and 1/4 gallon of heavy cream. The rest is made of whiskey, brandy, and rum, added sugar, and who knows what else (it's not easily available and I'm busy today). Still, the calorie difference between GOMAD and GOENAD is astounding, with Egg Nog having over 100% more fat and calories. What's more, it has over 3x the carbohydrates as GOMAD.

One could argue that all these calories could be of use for someone struggling to gain weight during the holiday season. However, I would argue that these calories are compromised compared to the regular milk. For instance, the essential amino acid content (including leucine) is much higher per unit volume in the whole milk vs the egg nog. Just throwing calories at a person without a good dose of amino acids seems like a bad idea, in general. Furthermore, we know alcohol consumed at sufficient doses is a myotoxin in that in inhibits muscle protein synthesis and increases muscle protein breakdown, thus I would have serious reservations in recommending GOENAD during the holiday season unless it improves your social life significantly, which likely has it's own set of physiological and psychological gainzZz™.

I was at the grocery store last night and noticed that a local dairy had a seasonal egg nog (N/A) available in their nice glass bottles. No nutrition info was available on the bottle so I didn't buy and this thread prompted me to look it up.

1 Gallon of Egg Nog (Danzeisen Dairy)
    Cal 5440
    Fat 256g (Sat 144g)
    Carb 672g (Sugar 640g)
    Protein 128g

Ingredients: Milk and cream, Sugar, Egg yolks, Grade A whey powder (a milk derivative), Natural flavor, Corn starch, Guar gum, Salt, Nutmeg, Carrageenan, Annatto & Turmeric (color)

Gonna have a hard time fitting this in my macros.

This guy stole my joke.
    I was just thinking of: Gallon of Milk Stout a Day. (GOMSAD) -- sooo very gom sad.

Lakewood The Temptress
    Temptress Imperial Milk Stout - 1 Gallon
    Cal 2527
    597g "carbs" (actual carbs, and alcohol as carbs)
    40g protein

... add in 1lb of low carb beef jerky, I think you've got something pretty great.

454g of People's Choice Beef Jerky

Cal 1441
    Carbs 16g
    Fat 40g
    Protein 256g

In Sum:
    Cal 3968
    Carbs 613g
    Fat 40g
    Protein 296g

Overall it's low in saturated fat (16g), low in fat in general (40g), very low in fiber (0g) (everyone knows how hard fiber can be on your digestive system), and extremely high in cholesterol (720mg) (so anabolic!).

So Jordan, all I want to know is: is this a great diet, or the greatest diet?

The greatest, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dhurstell View Post
    Jordan,

In the spirit of the holiday season, and just for fun and nuance, I wondered if you would care to comment on the benefits or disadvantages associated with replacing 1 gallon of milk a day, with a gallon of egg-nog per day.

Follow-up question, eggnog with rum or whiskey?
    I vote bourbon. I think QOENAD (quart of eggnog a day) is preferable to GOENAD.

Hey where’s that guy who wanted to be a SHW. Here you go dude

How about GOBMAD?
    Breast milk. Any benefits for my GainzZz over whole milk?

Furthermore, we know alcohol consumed at sufficient doses is a myotoxin in that in inhibits muscle protein synthesis and increases muscle protein breakdown, thus I would have serious reservations in recommending GOENAD during the holiday season unless it improves your social life significantly, which likely has it's own set of physiological and psychological gainzZz™.
    Then how are SSC's so JackKked?

Also they make egg nog without alcohol.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    How about GOBMAD?
    Breast milk. Any benefits for my GainzZz over whole milk?
    There's a breast involved. That's probably the only advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Then how are SSC's so JackKked?

Also they make egg nog without alcohol.
    Too many K's, bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast