starting strength gym

Thread: Annual Check In

Default Annual Check In

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,
    Sincere thanks for all of your work here and across the interwebz. It is that time of year where I check in with you to get some direction.

Male, 43, 5’11” 250, non-competitive lifter

Squat was at 515 for 1 (not a 1RM) or 460x5
    Pulls 625 for 1 (not a 1RM) or 560x5

Unfortunately, in late April I tore my left quad. It was just a muscle belly tear, but it was pretty severe and I have spent the last 7 months rehabbing. I can still pull 600x1 on pretty much any given day, squats are in the low 400’s. Recently, I ran a rehab, twice a week LP (sets of 10s, then 8s, then 6’s) and ended that at 420x6, but was starting to “feel” some strain in the quad so have revised my programming.

I plan on running some “off season” programming through March and slowly add weight to the bar in hopes that I will be fully healed and ready to start making a run to increase my numbers again. For squats that looks like lots of 5’s in the mid-upper 300’s, lots of doubles and triples in the low to mid 400’s while I slowly “test” heavyish singles (430-460 for now) to see how things “feel.”

My most current cycle for squats looks like this:
    Week 1:
    365x1, 400x1, 430x1@ easy, 365 4 sets of 5
    Light day, 225x5, 275 4 sets of 5

Week 2
    5 sets of 420x2
    Light day
    225x5, 275 for 4 sets of 5

Week 3
    420 for 4 sets of 3
    Light day
    225x5, 275 for 4 sets of 5

No quad discomfort at all. Which is the first time since I tore it.

At some point, I think I need to get my body weight back down to 235, but have not been focused on that while rehabbing.
    Given this, any direction or thoughts on what my goals from a body weight and training perspective should be this next year? I try to use your input in these posts to help define my goals. Unfortunately, this last year has been a wash, but I’ve learned some things.

Thanks again Jordan!

Crooked,

Sorry to hear about your quad, man. That's a real big pain (no pun intended).

I think all things considered, you could probably stand to lose some weight this year and revise your programming to include more submaximal squatting work such that you are able to tolerate the training required to get stronger.

That'd be my management.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Crooked,

Sorry to hear about your quad, man. That's a real big pain (no pun intended).

I think all things considered, you could probably stand to lose some weight this year and revise your programming to include more submaximal squatting work such that you are able to tolerate the training required to get stronger.

That'd be my management.
    Thanks Jordan.

So, it's sounds like my plan is on the right track, correct? Just need to work out the nitty gritty...

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Thanks Jordan.

So, it's sounds like my plan is on the right track, correct? Just need to work out the nitty gritty...
    I think so, in general, though I didn't see a specific plan there either. I get the gist, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I think so, in general, though I didn't see a specific plan there either. I get the gist, however.
    LOL, sorry man, I was trying to save you from too much detail/characters/value your time.

I have a plan just wanted to make sure I was headed in the overall correct direction. Of course, if I had stayed in my career in sales instead of leaving the profession 9 years ago to become a special education teacher, I would just hire you to tell me the plan. C'est la vie...

Thanks again for all you do. It is truly appreciated. You (and others) around here are helping those of us normal folks get stronger. Essentially, bringing strength training to the masses (of which I am one). So, sincerest thanks.

LOL, sorry man, I was trying to save you from too much detail/characters/value your time.

I have a plan just wanted to make sure I was headed in the overall correct direction. Of course, if I had stayed in my career in sales instead of leaving the profession 9 years ago to become a special education teacher, I would just hire you to tell me the plan. C'est la vie...

Thanks again for all you do. It is truly appreciated. You (and others) around here are helping those of us normal folks get stronger. Essentially, bringing strength training to the masses (of which I am one). So, sincerest thanks.
    Thanks man!

Those of us with kids that have need of special education thank you. We know how difficult it is, but are extremely thankful for people like you that can help our kids.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    Those of us with kids that have need of special education thank you. We know how difficult it is, but are extremely thankful for people like you that can help our kids.
    Thank you for the kind words.