starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking vitamin D can curb erectile dysfunction and increase testosterone

Default Taking vitamin D can curb erectile dysfunction and increase testosterone

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "A study by Italian scientists has shown that a daily supplement of vitamin D improves erectile function and testosterone levels.

The scientists were looking into the effects of Vitamin D deficiency on the libido. Vitamin D deficiency, which has been associated with types 1 and 2 diabetes and Addison's disease, is also believed to have a detrimental effect on men's sex lives.

The study, published in the International Journal of Endocrinology, shows that a lack of vitamin D leads to erectile dysfunction and that a vitamin D supplement can help curb the problem. It also found that a regular vitamin D intake was associated with a rise in testosterone levels in men.

The cases of 114 men aged 60-68 who had been treated by the research team for erectile dysfunction in 2003 were re-evaluated. Sixty per cent of the participants suffered from type 2 diabetes, 51% had hypertension, 68% smoked and another 53% had an abnormal amount of fat in their blood - also called dyslipidemia.

The team first assessed the participants' sexual performance using the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF), which is based on five criteria: how easy it is for a man to get an erection, how satisfied a man is with his penis during sexual intercourse, the state of his libido, whether he can reach orgasm during sex, and how satisfied he is with his sexual function overall.

Once assessed, 41 of the participants were subjected to tests before adopting a regimen of vitamin D supplements weekly or monthly. They underwent the same tests up to nine months afterwards.

Results show that the vitamin D treatment helped improve erectile function and increased testosterone levels in all patients. It also improved all other aspects of the IIEF. According to the results, men who had higher testosterone levels tended to be more happy with their sexual function and experienced less instances of erectile dysfunction.

The results stressed a strong connection between a man's level of testosterone and sexual problems, ranging from erectile dysfunction to poor libido.

The study also revealed that participants who suffered type 2 diabetes or smoked were found more likely to have lower testosterone levels than those who did not."

Low libido? Taking vitamin D can curb erectile dysfunction and increase testosterone

Something about an average increase in testosterone from 290ng/dL (normal) to 320 ng/dL (still normal) and a 1 point increase in the IIEF from 10 (low) to 11 (still low) is.....uninspiring.....

And, as published in duh weekly:

The study also revealed that participants who suffered type 2 diabetes or smoked were found more likely to have lower testosterone levels than those who did not."
    Yea....duh.

The results stressed a strong connection between a man's level of testosterone and sexual problems, ranging from erectile dysfunction to poor libido.
    This is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Something about an average increase in testosterone from 290ng/dL (normal) to 320 ng/dL (still normal) and a 1 point increase in the IIEF from 10 (low) to 11 (still low) is.....uninspiring.....

And, as published in duh weekly:

Yea....duh.

This is incorrect.
    It's been a very long time since I looked at the biochemistry of steroid or steroid like substances from sterol backbones, so pulling this out of my ass. However, it seems that if you have low vitamin D....you may be sucking away at substrate from other steroid hormones.....and Estrogen and SBHG is increased as well as testosterone...in healthy men who supplement vitamin D.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    It's been a very long time since I looked at the biochemistry of steroid or steroid like substances from sterol backbones, so pulling this out of my ass. However, it seems that if you have low vitamin D....you may be sucking away at substrate from other steroid hormones.....and Estrogen and SBHG is increased as well as testosterone...in healthy men who supplement vitamin D.
    Yea.

Overall, the study isn't interesting at all from a clinical significance standpoint. Interestingly, most of the people who actually study vitamin D have moved on from the "oh it's low better supplement this thing" to- why is the vitamin D low? Is this a marker of another condition or illness and how do we correct that vs. prop it up with a supplement.

Yea.

Overall, the study isn't interesting at all from a clinical significance standpoint. Interestingly, most of the people who actually study vitamin D have moved on from the "oh it's low better supplement this thing" to- why is the vitamin D low? Is this a marker of another condition or illness and how do we correct that vs. prop it up with a supplement.
    What do you suggest low vitamin D people rather check for, instead of direct supplementation?

"The results stressed a strong connection between a man's level of testosterone and sexual problems, ranging from erectile dysfunction to poor libido."

My testosterone was in the shitter, and absolutely no erectile or libido issues. The opposite, really.

Yea.

I've been supplementing vitamin D for years, blood work always showing I'm at the bottom of the scale at best even with high dosages of it. Severe sleep apnea led me to a CPAP... and guess what? Vitamin D levels jumped up.

(No idea if the sleep apnea affected testosterone levels, though kinda doubt it as it's primary hypogonadism. I've been on TRT for a while with no plans of coming off of it. The overall quality of life difference is incredible.)

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    What do you suggest low vitamin D people rather check for, instead of direct supplementation?
    I don't suggest they check for anything in particular without additional patient information.

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post

I've been supplementing vitamin D for years, blood work always showing I'm at the bottom of the scale at best even with high dosages of it. Severe sleep apnea led me to a CPAP... and guess what? Vitamin D levels jumped up.

(No idea if the sleep apnea affected testosterone levels, though kinda doubt it as it's primary hypogonadism. I've been on TRT for a while with no plans of coming off of it. The overall quality of life difference is incredible.)
    Very interesting

I don't suggest they check for anything in particular without additional patient information.
    Just got my level checked and it was well below the normal range. Spending time in the north Midwest during winter doesn’t do well for vitamin D absorption. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Just got my level checked and it was well below the normal range. Spending time in the north Midwest during winter doesn’t do well for vitamin D absorption. Who knew?
    Michael Holick.

starting strength coach development program
    Michael Holick.
    Michael Holick.

I could have avoided all this just by buying the right orange juice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast