starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Trying to Cut While Maintaining Strength

Default Intermediate Trying to Cut While Maintaining Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Jordan,

25 yr old male, 6'1" low 220's BW.

As the title suggests, I'm an intermediate trainee that needs to cut a little fat. I'm obviously not obese by any stretch of the imagination, but I've definitely acquired some extra padding during my training process. I honestly wouldn't be all that concerned about this, if not for that fact that I'm going to be in a black-tie wedding in early June and currently struggle to fit into the tux I own.

I probably only need to shed about 10 lbs or so, but I know that taking it slow is the best protocol for things like this, so I thought I'd ask for advice early. My main two concerns are:

1. How should I adjust my diet? I honestly don't pay too much attention to total calories and just try to hit my protein macro goal while trying to eat some veggies and limit junk.

2. How should I adjust my programming to maintain as much strength as I can? I'm currently running the 4-day TM split in your 12 Ways to Skin the Texas Method article. I know I've got youth on my side, but I'm unsure if this would be sustainable in a caloric deficit. I don't have any delusions of gaining strength during this process, but I've got my sights set on my 500/400/300 goal, and I'd hate to lose the gainzZz I've worked so hard for.

Thanks, looking forward to your advice.

Neb92,

Thanks for the post.

1) I would reduce energy intake from carbohydrates and fat to a point where you lose weight steadily but slowly.

2) I wouldn't adjust training. You'll be fine and should, in fact, gain strength.

Thanks for the reply!

I've installed the My Fitness Pal app to take some of the guess work out of this process. It lets me adjust macros, so reducing carbs and fat as you describe while keeping protein intake at its current level should be pretty easy.

In terms of pace, would aiming for -0.5 lbs/week be too conservative or just about right?

Thanks, doc.

Hi Jordan, curious, how does this not contradict your advice that it's impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? I'm struggling to figure out how to reconcile those two.

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    Hi Jordan, curious, how does this not contradict your advice that it's impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? I'm struggling to figure out how to reconcile those two.
    How does what contradict my advice?

It doesn’t. He said the op would be fine and should be able keep gaining “strength.” Strength being the operative word. Nowhere did Jordan reference muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    How does what contradict my advice?
    Well you told this person that they could stand to reduce calories and body fat while maintaing progress on Texas Method. If this person followed your advice, wouldn't they achieve the mythical recomp via fat loss while gaining strength, therefore muscle mass?

I thought one could either gain both muscle and fat or lose both muscle and fat. Or is that only the case for a novice/early intermediate?

Hi Beefcake, he said 'lose fat and gain strength'. Which is not the same as lose fat and gain muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stvn View Post
    Hi Beefcake, he said 'lose fat and gain strength'. Which is not the same as lose fat and gain muscle.
    x1000.

starting strength coach development program
    Jordan, does this opinion still hold if I'm nearing the "run it out" phase of the TM? I realized I forgot to mention my progress in my OP, so sorry about that. I've been doing the program for over two months now, and I imagine eating for recovery might be important now more than ever as I'm getting closer to handling true 1RM's.

If it helps, my most recent ID lifts are below. I have already switched to one triple on ID for deadlifts, and will probably have to switch to triples for squat and bench sometime in the next couple weeks.

Squat: 340x5
    Bench: 242.5x5
    Deadlift: 405x3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast