starting strength gym

Thread: Meet day supplementation

Default Meet day supplementation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm trying to organise a supplement regime for my friend for Canadian nationals (he's likely going to win the 66kg class if not place in top 3). I'm thinking caffeine, ibuprofen, creatine, betaine/TMG, mucuna pruriens (with l-dopa), and alpha GPC (I found that this helps decrease muscular fatigue a lot but not necessarily increase power output as per studies on examine). Am I missing anything else that's ok with WADA? Also are sleep aids good the night before (probably phenibut)?

Random question: is it possible that creatine mono at regular doses (2-3g/day) cause bloating in the face? There's a lot of anecdotes about this online, maybe increased water in facial muscles? Asking this because you've been making creatine videos lately.

General rule, don't do any supplementation that a lifter has not previously engaged in prior to a meet. Canadian Nationals are <1 month away so I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Specific advice:

1) Ibuprofen is not something I'd routinely recommend. Most of the evidence shows no acute performance benefit.
    2) Caffeine intake should be kept as is given the high potential for negative side effects.
    3) Creatine does not cause bloating of the face since there is not a significant amount of skeletal muscle mass for it to pull water into.
    4) There is no human data on alpha GPC and performance. I would not recommend.
    5) I would not recommend mucuna pruriens or TMG for acute performance benefit, as that's not really what they're used for. I wouldn't recommend mucuna pruriens at all, tbh.
    6) I would not do a sleep aid the night before, or phenibut in general. Not a bunch of good data on it and the half life is ~5 hours, so 20 hours + until it's out of the system.