starting strength gym

Thread: Meet is two weeks out and nutritional considerations

Default Meet is two weeks out and nutritional considerations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert

It is first meet and I am 37 y/o male /95 kg and in the middle of my weight class. This week will be 2 days of five for BS, BP and then mock meet on Sat. For next week I planned a light upper body on mo, a light BS and BP on Wed and finally the meet on Sat.

I currently eat ~ 120g carbs and 200 g Prot, fats and veggies i do not count. First meal of the day is low in fat and higher in carbs. Lunch is a mix and around straining a try to avoid fats and eat some fast carbs and whey. Last meal of the day is higher in fat and lower in carbs, except before first Heavy day of Training week. Then it is high Carb time.

Question: Since I am free to gain/lose about 5kg (not that I planned so) and still will be in my weight class, what would you recommend in order to enhance Performance at the meet?
    - try to gain in the last two weeks (lets say ad another meal, like cottage cheese with a spoon of peanutbutter)?
    - stay the same and just have a cheat meal night before meet?
    -... ?

Quote Originally Posted by GermanHerman View Post
    Hi Robert

It is first meet and I am 37 y/o male /95 kg and in the middle of my weight class. This week will be 2 days of five for BS, BP and then mock meet on Sat. For next week I planned a light upper body on mo, a light BS and BP on Wed and finally the meet on Sat.

I currently eat ~ 120g carbs and 200 g Prot, fats and veggies i do not count. First meal of the day is low in fat and higher in carbs. Lunch is a mix and around straining a try to avoid fats and eat some fast carbs and whey. Last meal of the day is higher in fat and lower in carbs, except before first Heavy day of Training week. Then it is high Carb time.

Question: Since I am free to gain/lose about 5kg (not that I planned so) and still will be in my weight class, what would you recommend in order to enhance Performance at the meet?
    - try to gain in the last two weeks (lets say ad another meal, like cottage cheese with a spoon of peanutbutter)?
    - stay the same and just have a cheat meal night before meet?
    -... ?
    Thanks for posting! Upon immediate glance at this, your carbs are way too low for a 37 y/o male @ 95 kg. Ramp those up to 250-300 asap and you'll see a dramatic improvement under the bar. Thankfully you have wiggle room to gain some weight so it won't bump you out of your weight class.

Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by GermanHerman View Post
    Thanks mate!
    You are very welcome!