starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eating recommendations for 5’9”, 185 lb. guy?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Neither is a good choice for this young man. Cereal is probably a better option.
    Sounds good. I’m sorry I missed the part about the milk. . I guess cereal has more vitamins than candy corn. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    ... Cereal is probably a better option.
    Ironically it was Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (yes, the cereal Kellogg) who patented a process for making peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Williams View Post
    I don’t know many 15 year olds that can eat a jar of peanut butter a day and not get fat. But certainly, youth has its benefits.
    I could've. I went through about a gallon of 2% or skim milk and a loaf of bread's worth of meat and cheese sandwiches each day, along with whatever was for dinner and a few snacks. I wasn't purposely doing GOMAD or anything, that's just what I normally ate.

I'm not entirely sure I've ever thanked my parents for feeding me during those years. I should do that, just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Williams View Post
    I don’t know many 15 year olds that can eat a jar of peanut butter a day and not get fat. But certainly, youth has its benefits.
    Many if not most male teenagers should be able to do exactly that. Maybe the present generation is not active enough.
    I know I wasn't a particularly athletic kid (80s and 90s), but I know I ate tons and tons and was always skinny. I was active, as was normal back then. When I started training (ok, exercising) and actually trying to gain muscular weight, I ate so much my parents complained and told me they'd be happy to be rid of me just for not buying my food anymore. I ate 2kg of meat per day, and this was far from all I ate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I've ever thanked my parents for feeding me during those years. I should do that, just to make sure.
    Yes, you should. Good idea. Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Ironically it was Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (yes, the cereal Kellogg) who patented a process for making peanut butter.
    I can't speak for Santana's intent, but Dr. Kellogg's marketers did us a dis-service when they subverted the term "cereal" to mean processed breakfast product doused in milk for today's vernacular.

As for Sean Herbison's teenaged eating conquests, I wasn't quite as accomplished, but my mother appreciates that when I was craving extra calories as a teen, I'd just scrub off a potato, stab it with a fork a few times, and nuke it in the microwave. I wish I could hand that 90's kid a copy of SS and a squat wrack.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    I can't speak for Santana's intent, but Dr. Kellogg's marketers did us a dis-service when they subverted the term "cereal" to mean processed breakfast product doused in milk for today's vernacular.

As for Sean Herbison's teenaged eating conquests, I wasn't quite as accomplished, but my mother appreciates that when I was craving extra calories as a teen, I'd just scrub off a potato, stab it with a fork a few times, and nuke it in the microwave. I wish I could hand that 90's kid a copy of SS and a squat wrack.
    Cereal is cheap, full of carbs and micronutrients, and easy to consume in large amounts. I’m not aware of any serious long term side effects from eating cereal. That being said I’d prefer bran cereals and whole grain cereals over things like Lucky Charms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123