starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating recommendations for 5’9”, 185 lb. guy?

Default Eating recommendations for 5’9”, 185 lb. guy?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What do you guys recommend I throw in/take out of my diet? I’ve been running SS for a month, and am 5’9”, 185 lbs, and 15 yo. My current Squat, Bench, Press, and Deadlift stats are 260 x 5 x 3, 155 x 5 x 3, 115 x 5 (stalled twice here, am deloading 10% because for the life of me I can’t get that 5th rep on set 2), and 305 x 5 (deloaded to 275 x 5 to work on form at the recommendation of another member). My Power Clean is 125 x 3 x 5 (I started Phase II of the program on my last workout).

A typical weekday diet for me is: a bacon and egg sandwich in the morning, a jar of peanut butter + large peanut butter sandwich for lunch (I can’t drink milk), and chicken and vegetables for dinner.

I seem to recover well enough, and I noticed that I have been increasing in size overall. Like a lot. Haven’t got a gut, but my shoulders are much broader and muscly and my arms and back got so much thicker.

Any advice you guys have on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks for posting!

I’d say if you’re still adding weight to the bar keep doing what you are doing. I’d still like to see more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in your diet. Looks rather high in fat and protein and low on carbs and fiber based on what you’ve reported here. Aim for 40 grams of fiber per day and start there.

Sure thing, will do. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by jfallon9 View Post
    Sure thing, will do. Thanks for the response.
    You are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Thanks for posting!

I’d say if you’re still adding weight to the bar keep doing what you are doing. I’d still like to see more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in your diet. Looks rather high in fat and protein and low on carbs and fiber based on what you’ve reported here. Aim for 40 grams of fiber per day and start there.
    Just want to point out that, according to the nutrition information on the label, a jar of peanut butter has 42g of fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Just want to point out that, according to the nutrition information on the label, a jar of peanut butter has 42g of fiber.
    It also has 256 grams of fat, which probably won't help you in the "not having a gut" department ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jfallon9 View Post
    a jar of peanut butter
    Wait, what? How large is this jar? I'm assuming a normal 3-4 cup jar, which would be about the same as GOMAD, but with a lot more fat. Without knowing the specifics of your breakfast and dinner, you're getting, what, 80% of your calories from peanut butter?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Wait, what? How large is this jar? I'm assuming a normal 3-4 cup jar, which would be about the same as GOMAD, but with a lot more fat. Without knowing the specifics of your breakfast and dinner, you're getting, what, 80% of your calories from peanut butter?

I feel like I'm missing something here.
    Here in the US, the normal jar is 16oz. That's the one with 42g of fiber and 256g of fat. (Thanks Robert, you ruined my plans for JOPAD--jar of peanut butter a day). This jar would have ~2800Kcal. At my age (62) I have to limit myself to one serving (32g or two tablespoons) each day; I put it in my oatmeal.

A jar of peanut butter a day!!!

If I have my choice, I am coming back as a man!!!

Sorry, I’m just so envious!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It also has 256 grams of fat, which probably won't help you in the "not having a gut" department ;-)
    Just out of curiosity since I'm close in stature to the OP i'm curious at what point you think someone has gained too much bodyfat during SS? I'm currently eating around 3500 calories a day with about 200g from protein. I'm an endo/meso too sitting around 18% bf and watching any semblance of abs disappear is mildly disconcerting.

Some say who wants 6 little abs when you can have 1 big power ab but meh, just curious.

P.S. also run 3 days a week + play soccer (Professional life requires a certain level of cardio proficiency so I can't just drop it even though I hate running unless it involves a ball)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast