starting strength gym

Thread: Training for weight loss

Default Training for weight loss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Robert, you mentioned in the Barbell Logic Podcast that if someone is trying to lose weight while training that it is better to lay off intensity and focus on volume. Could you expound on that and maybe give an example or two? (Obviously we are taking about someone in the intermediate stage not in LP)

P.S. I'm asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by FarsightedJonesy View Post
    Robert, you mentioned in the Barbell Logic Podcast that if someone is trying to lose weight while training that it is better to lay off intensity and focus on volume. Could you expound on that and maybe give an example or two? (Obviously we are taking about someone in the intermediate stage not in LP)

P.S. I'm asking for a friend.
    Sure! So typically i avoid situations where the lifter is peaking for a max (i.e. doubles, singles for a couple of sets). I keep the reps between 3-6 and increase volume by increasing the number of sets. There several ways to do this, with my preferred method being a simple HLM or 4 day split where the heavy day starts as essentially TM volume day and the weight undulates the remaining days. What may start out as 5 x 5 will eventually turn into 7 x 3. Then the rest of the week you are handling lighter loads to recover from that heavy day. The volume allows you to preserve muscle mass and keeping the reps reasonably low allows you to have enough intensity to keep as much of your strength as possible.

Cool. That makes sense. Thank you for the quick response.

In addition to increasing volume are you also increasing the weight on the bar? It would seem there's only so much you can increase volume, as a practical matter. Or do people tend to get weaker on a cut, so that increasing weight on the bar is not realistic?

A bit more detail on programming while losing weight would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by FarsightedJonesy View Post
    Cool. That makes sense. Thank you for the quick response.
    You are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    In addition to increasing volume are you also increasing the weight on the bar? It would seem there's only so much you can increase volume, as a practical matter. Or do people tend to get weaker on a cut, so that increasing weight on the bar is not realistic?

A bit more detail on programming while losing weight would be appreciated.
    I don’t increase volume per se, rather I keep the lifter in an accumulation phase until the cut is over. Weight is added weekly but the squat may be microloaded and the bench press may go up 1 lb per week when things get super grindy. In short, low reps, high sets, weekly LP.