starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition Advice for a Novice

Default Nutrition Advice for a Novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing SS for about 11 weeks now. I m 6ft. I started at 216lbs 16%BF and now I weigh 240 lbs and 16%BF according to the Navy Body fat method (I don't know if this calculation is correct.) My squat is at 155kg/341lbs for 3x5. Should I begin to cut back the calories? perhaps carbs?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Korbine View Post
    I've been doing SS for about 11 weeks now. I m 6ft. I started at 216lbs 16%BF and now I weigh 240 lbs and 16%BF according to the Navy Body fat method (I don't know if this calculation is correct.) My squat is at 155kg/341lbs for 3x5. Should I begin to cut back the calories? perhaps carbs?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Thanks for posting!

What is your current goal? Do you want to add more weight to the bar or do you want to get leaner? I would not reduce carbs while on SS. If you want you can reduce fat and you'll probably still make progress but at end LP you need all the carbs you can get. The short answer to this is that the program is not compatible with a caloric deficit, with this being more evident as you near the end of your LP.
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 02-16-2018 at 05:47 PM.

My current goal is to keep getting stronger. I知 not worried about getting lean right now I just want to make sure I知 not getting too fat in the process. If I calculated correctly then that means if I知 at 16% BF at 240 then that means I have only gained about 4lbs of fat in the 24lb increase which I don稚 think is correct. I think I知 probably closer to 20% BF.

Right now my size 34 pants are getting tight and I知 going to pull out my 36痴 haha. I just want to make sure I知 doing the right things. I know I still have considerable progress to make on LP

My current goal is to keep getting stronger. I知 not worried about getting lean right now I just want to make sure I知 not getting too fat in the process. If I calculated correctly then that means if I知 at 16% BF at 240 then that means I have only gained about 4lbs of fat in the 24lb increase which I don稚 think is correct. I think I知 probably closer to 20% BF.

Right now my size 34 pants are getting tight and I知 going to pull out my 36痴 haha. I just want to make sure I知 doing the right things. I know I still have considerable progress to make on LP
    I壇 say just keep your carbs and protein up and your fat on the lower end, run the program out, and you値l prolly be okay. Measure your waist at the naval and keep that in the mid 30s and you should be in good shape.

My waist is at 33-34. I appreciate your replies. Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    My waist is at 33-34. I appreciate your replies. Thank you.
    You are very welcome!