starting strength gym

Thread: How important is eating “healthy” for strength/recovery?

Default How important is eating “healthy” for strength/recovery?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. I was wondering if it really matters what kind of food we eat, as long as we are hitting our macros. For example would, would I see a difference in preformance if I ate Froot Loops instead of oatmeal, as long as they both eaqualed 30g of carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby32 View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if it really matters what kind of food we eat, as long as we are hitting our macros. For example would, would I see a difference in preformance if I ate Froot Loops instead of oatmeal, as long as they both eaqualed 30g of carbs?
    Great question! So yes because when you eat a diet rich in empty calories you lose out on micronutrients, which are essential for energy production. You also get bigger swings in blood glucose and insulin ,which can cauase you to crash and feel like crap. Now do you have to eat "clean" all day? Not necessarily. You definitely want to aim to get most of your food from nutrient rich sources though.

Awesome! Very informative, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby32 View Post
    Awesome! Very informative, thank you!
    You are very welcome!

Is it fair to also say that a the higher your overall caloric needs the less important food quality becomes?

In other words: If you ate say 2500 calories of "healthy" foods, could you not get all the micronutrients, vitamins, ect...and possibly even most, if not all of your necessary/minimal macros, and the still simply need more calories for energy?

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Is it fair to also say that a the higher your overall caloric needs the less important food quality becomes?

In other words: If you ate say 2500 calories of "healthy" foods, could you not get all the micronutrients, vitamins, ect...and possibly even most, if not all of your necessary/minimal macros, and the still simply need more calories for energy?
    This aruguably makes it more important. Think about it: you are running more TCAs and electron transport chains and thus need MORE micronutrients not less. The higher the energy expenditure the more high maintenance the diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    This aruguably makes it more important. Think about it: you are running more TCAs and electron transport chains and thus need MORE micronutrients not less. The higher the energy expenditure the more high maintenance the diet.

Interesting..

I'll let that roll around the noggin for a while.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Interesting..

I'll let that roll around the noggin for a while.
    Sounds good buddy!