starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too big meals

Default Too big meals

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hy Robert!
    I'm 30 yrs old, 5'9'' 189 lbs, bf I would say between 11-15%. I consider myself an intermediate so I do intermediate type of programming. I want do get stronger therefore I need to gain some weight.
    I slowly increased my macros for few month and didnt have any success. So i get to 4000 kcal/day last 2 weeks and now the scale come up.
    I gain a pound or so.

I'm eating ~230p, 480c, 125f. Hare comes the questions.
    1. I'm eating 4x a day, sometimes due to busy schedule I only have three. And then those are 1500 kcal meals(sometimes 2000), carbs around 170 g per meal.
    Is there such thing as too big meals?

2. In a few months of trying to gain weight I got 3-5 pounds but I feel that my body composition suffered more than that. It's like I got only fat, and non of the muscles. (maybe thats all in my head, I dont have caliper or anything, measures show liitle increase in waist.)
    Should I arrange my macros different?

Quote Originally Posted by goran1862 View Post
    Hy Robert!
    I'm 30 yrs old, 5'9'' 189 lbs, bf I would say between 11-15%. I consider myself an intermediate so I do intermediate type of programming. I want do get stronger therefore I need to gain some weight.
    I slowly increased my macros for few month and didnt have any success. So i get to 4000 kcal/day last 2 weeks and now the scale come up.
    I gain a pound or so.

I'm eating ~230p, 480c, 125f. Hare comes the questions.
    1. I'm eating 4x a day, sometimes due to busy schedule I only have three. And then those are 1500 kcal meals(sometimes 2000), carbs around 170 g per meal.
    Is there such thing as too big meals?

2. In a few months of trying to gain weight I got 3-5 pounds but I feel that my body composition suffered more than that. It's like I got only fat, and non of the muscles. (maybe thats all in my head, I dont have caliper or anything, measures show liitle increase in waist.)
    Should I arrange my macros different?
    Thanks for posting!

1) You should try to break those meals up a little bit more if you can. Is a weight gainer an option?

2) How much are you lifting?

1. If you think of weight gainer in a form of homemade shake, then yes ( oats, banana, oeanut butter whey, milk)

2. 1RM
    sq 363lbs, bp 269, dl 452, ohp 176.

1. If you think of weight gainer in a form of homemade shake, then yes ( oats, banana, oeanut butter whey, milk)

2. 1RM
    sq 363lbs, bp 269, dl 452, ohp 176.
    You may want to make yourself some weight gainer type shakes to take with you during the day so you can spread these out more evenly. How often are you PRing now? What type of program are you on?

Got it boss!

At end of every template, every 3 month or so.. But I'm thinking to prolonge that even more because I dont see much benefit for me to PR that often.
    Right now I'm doing texas method, last two templates was the bridge and HLM

Got it boss!

At end of every template, every 3 month or so.. But I'm thinking to prolonge that even more because I dont see much benefit for me to PR that often.
    Right now I'm doing texas method, last two templates was the bridge and HLM
    Are you suggesting that there is no benefit for you to get stronger at a faster rate? What kind of benefits are we talking about?

No no.
    I'm suggesting to skip the displaying of strenght week (testing 1rm) and just go to another template.
    I'm still getting stronger at this rate, though.
    What I wrote on last post came out wrong

No no.
    I'm suggesting to skip the displaying of strenght week (testing 1rm) and just go to another template.
    I'm still getting stronger at this rate, though.
    What I wrote on last post came out wrong
    I wouldn't skip it. Finish it out because you'll be able to handle heavier loads for reps after having gotten used to handling limit loads.
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 03-07-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Tnx man, makes sense!
    Regarding nutrition, you suggest that I keep with same calories and spread more meals through the day?

starting strength coach development program
    Tnx man, makes sense!
    Regarding nutrition, you suggest that I keep with same calories and spread more meals through the day?
    Yes that would work well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast