starting strength gym

Thread: Question on carbs

Default Question on carbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rob,

Thanks for all the helpful info on this forum. I messaged a few weeks ago with regards to my caloric intake, to which I got great feedback from you. So again, thanks.
    I'm just wondering if my carb intake looks ok or if it needs to be timed more around workouts.
    I'm 37, 5'10", 198lb, about 25-30% bf, and waist is about 40" at umbilical. My goal is to recomp down to somewhere around 15-18% bf. Currently running LP at 2,700 cals 240p/270c/75f. (I recently had a weekend away with my partner, lots of beers and food. Came back from that weekend at around 203lb and in 3wks my weight has came back down to 198lb so im def losing with these cals. I might add i'm doing no cardio or HIIT, just straight up LP.)
    Squat 115kg 3x5
    Deadlift 120kg 1x5
    Bench 83kg 3x5
    Press 50kg (failed at 3x5 x3 reset to 45kg)
    I dont do Power Cleans due to the difficulty learning it so instead i Barbell Row.
    Row 65kg 3x8
    Chin ups 3x8,7,6.

Anyway, sorry that got longwinded.
    Back to my question, does my carb intake look ok or does it need to be more around workout

05:30am Breakfast
    3 eggs 3 egg whites scrambled in olive oil with reduced fat shredded cheese and tomatoes.
    80g oats with 2% milk and honey/cinnamon.
    Coffee.

09:00am
    Cottage cheese
    Apple

11:15am
    Chicken breast
    Rice or potato
    Green veg

15:00 (pre workout)
    20-40g whey
    Banana

17:30 (post workout)
    Chilli (meat & beans)
    Rice or potato

21:00
    0% fat greek yogurt mixed with whey
    Peanut butter

Again, appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Hey Rob,

Thanks for all the helpful info on this forum. I messaged a few weeks ago with regards to my caloric intake, to which I got great feedback from you. So again, thanks.
    I'm just wondering if my carb intake looks ok or if it needs to be timed more around workouts.
    I'm 37, 5'10", 198lb, about 25-30% bf, and waist is about 40" at umbilical. My goal is to recomp down to somewhere around 15-18% bf. Currently running LP at 2,700 cals 240p/270c/75f. (I recently had a weekend away with my partner, lots of beers and food. Came back from that weekend at around 203lb and in 3wks my weight has came back down to 198lb so im def losing with these cals. I might add i'm doing no cardio or HIIT, just straight up LP.)
    Squat 115kg 3x5
    Deadlift 120kg 1x5
    Bench 83kg 3x5
    Press 50kg (failed at 3x5 x3 reset to 45kg)
    I dont do Power Cleans due to the difficulty learning it so instead i Barbell Row.
    Row 65kg 3x8
    Chin ups 3x8,7,6.

Anyway, sorry that got longwinded.
    Back to my question, does my carb intake look ok or does it need to be more around workout

05:30am Breakfast
    3 eggs 3 egg whites scrambled in olive oil with reduced fat shredded cheese and tomatoes.
    80g oats with 2% milk and honey/cinnamon.
    Coffee.

09:00am
    Cottage cheese
    Apple

11:15am
    Chicken breast
    Rice or potato
    Green veg

15:00 (pre workout)
    20-40g whey
    Banana

17:30 (post workout)
    Chilli (meat & beans)
    Rice or potato

21:00
    0% fat greek yogurt mixed with whey
    Peanut butter

Again, appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
    I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. I'd say just add some more non-starchy vegetables and fruits and you're golden. Run the LP out as long as you can and worry about cutting weight after you're done with that.

Hey Rob,

So, I've failed my Press at 50kg for 3 workouts now. Reset to 45kg to go again. First Bench fail at 83.5kg today, got 5/5 last rep a grind with help from spotter/4. Will retry this next week. And failed Squats at 117.5kg. Would you recommend I bump up from 2,700cals 240p/270c/75f to 2,900cals 235p/300c/80f? In order to get this im thinking of replacing my 9am meal with the Peanut Butter from the last meal and make Peanut Butter/banana/honey sandwich with wholegrain bread and a shake.

Once again, appreciate any feedback!

Hey Rob,

So, I've failed my Press at 50kg for 3 workouts now. Reset to 45kg to go again. First Bench fail at 83.5kg today, got 5/5 last rep a grind with help from spotter/4. Will retry this next week. And failed Squats at 117.5kg. Would you recommend I bump up from 2,700cals 240p/270c/75f to 2,900cals 235p/300c/80f? In order to get this im thinking of replacing my 9am meal with the Peanut Butter from the last meal and make Peanut Butter/banana/honey sandwich with wholegrain bread and a shake.

Once again, appreciate any feedback!
    That would be good logical choices. Try it out and report back. I think you'll find that everything will get easier within a few days at the higher carb intake.

Thanks!

Also, how do you go about your programming when someone is attempting slow recomp or maintain as appose to someone who is aggresively gaining i.e GOMAD. Ive read that it may be necessary when calories are somewhat restricted to switch to Advance Novice programme sooner rather than later. (Light squat day and also switching Press to 5x3 rather than 3x5). I ask as since seen as ive hit my first Squat fail i was thinking of making the switch to prolong any further 'stalls' for as long as possible on LP. Does this programming look solid to run out LP

Week A

HEAVY LIGHT MEDIUM
    Monday Wednesday Friday
    Squat 3x5 Squat 3x5 80% Squat 3x5
    Press 5x3 Bench 3x5 Press 5x3
    Deadlift 1x5 Chins 3xFailure Row 3x5

Week B

Monday Wednesday Friday
    Bench 3x5 Press 5x3 Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 Chins 3x5 Row 3x5

With the chin up im thinking of having 3xfailure at bodyweight on Week 'A' then 3x5 weight chins on Week 'B' and also Bench is getting tough so may need to switch out 5x3 on this too. Does this set up look ok along with my given calorie intake to run out LP.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Also, how do you go about your programming when someone is attempting slow recomp or maintain as appose to someone who is aggresively gaining i.e GOMAD. Ive read that it may be necessary when calories are somewhat restricted to switch to Advance Novice programme sooner rather than later. (Light squat day and also switching Press to 5x3 rather than 3x5). I ask as since seen as ive hit my first Squat fail i was thinking of making the switch to prolong any further 'stalls' for as long as possible on LP. Does this programming look solid to run out LP

Week A

HEAVY LIGHT MEDIUM
    Monday Wednesday Friday
    Press 5x3 Bench 3x5 Press 5x3
    Deadlift 1x5 Chins 3xFailure Row 3x5

Week B

Monday Wednesday Friday
    Bench 3x5 Press 5x3 Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 Chins 3x5 Row 3x5

With the chin up im thinking of having 3xfailure at bodyweight on Week 'A' then 3x5 weight chins on Week 'B' and also Bench is getting tough so may need to switch out 5x3 on this too. Does this set up look ok along with my given calorie intake to run out LP.

Thanks!
    Advanced novice sounds good to me and I like that you placed the deadlift on day 1 to get all the hard work out of the way at the start of the week. How much weight are you adding per workout to your bench press and press?

If you want to transition to maintenance calories then you will just have to play it by ear. Maintenance calories don’t necessarily mean that you won’t make progress rather the opposite is often true when properly planned. I believe what you’re asking is in regards to halting weight gain. In that case your job is to maximize carbs and protein to facilitate progress under the bar while keeping fat reasonably at bay so your waistline doesn’t continue LPing ;-).

Yes, that was my thinking for the Deadlift. I will have had the full weekends recovery before going into that workout. My Press and Bench i was just progressing up in 2.5kg increments but have now just got hold of some 0.5kg and 1kg fractional plates. Reset Press back to 45kg and going up in 1kg inc's now and also started Bench with 1kg too.
    I defenitely don't want to gain anymore fatmass Rob, thats for sure. At 198-200lb now give or take and around 25-30% bf.

Yes, that was my thinking for the Deadlift. I will have had the full weekends recovery before going into that workout. My Press and Bench i was just progressing up in 2.5kg increments but have now just got hold of some 0.5kg and 1kg fractional plates. Reset Press back to 45kg and going up in 1kg inc's now and also started Bench with 1kg too.
    I defenitely don't want to gain anymore fatmass Rob, thats for sure. At 198-200lb now give or take and around 25-30% bf.
    I’d microload the bench press and the press for sure. Not unusual to add 0.5 kg to the press and make progress.

Thanks Rob for all your feedback. Its very helpful to have a coach be able to give you the answers required. Im just going to try maintain my current weight and get through LP for as long as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Rob for all your feedback. Its very helpful to have a coach be able to give you the answers required. Im just going to try maintain my current weight and get through LP for as long as possible.

You are very welcome buddy and thanks for the kind words!