starting strength gym

Thread: Fibre in protein bars

Default Fibre in protein bars

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

I would love to know your honest opinion on the "fibre" supposedly provided by protein bars. You know the ones such as Quest etc that use the product Vitafiber.

I used to use a lot of these products and even bought bottles of the stuff to make my own but mainly because I was trying to wean myself off sugar. Having managed this I rarely consume bars now as I can't help but feel sceptical about the quality of any of the ingredients that go into them and the claims they make of such high fibre and low sugar. Fibre is a natural substance in my view, and doesn't need to be manufactured.

Anyway, so whilst I may be done with these bars, I have not had the opportunity to quiz anyone knowledgable about these fibre claims and would love to know your thoughts as I realise that you and others who work in the nutritional world usually have strong views on fibre intake.

Thanks

Lynette

Quote Originally Posted by Lynette View Post
    Hi Robert,

I would love to know your honest opinion on the "fibre" supposedly provided by protein bars. You know the ones such as Quest etc that use the product Vitafiber.

I used to use a lot of these products and even bought bottles of the stuff to make my own but mainly because I was trying to wean myself off sugar. Having managed this I rarely consume bars now as I can't help but feel sceptical about the quality of any of the ingredients that go into them and the claims they make of such high fibre and low sugar. Fibre is a natural substance in my view, and doesn't need to be manufactured.

Anyway, so whilst I may be done with these bars, I have not had the opportunity to quiz anyone knowledgable about these fibre claims and would love to know your thoughts as I realise that you and others who work in the nutritional world usually have strong views on fibre intake.

Thanks

Lynette
    Great question Lynette!

In the absence of eating high volumes of fruits (other than raspberries and blackberries) and vegetables, its often difficult for most to consume 25-30 g(females) or 35-40 gm (males) of fiber per day. For this demographic, a fiber fortified food is perfectly acceptable.

I cannot speak for all protein bars but Quest Bars in general are a good option for those struggling to get enough fiber from fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Specifically, the primary source of fiber in quest bars is Soluble corn fiber, which has some scientific literature behind it. Soluble corn fiber has been found to enhance calcium absorption, increase healthy gut bacteria, and improve glycemic control. All favorable outcomes from a health standpoint. I'm not quite sold on the aversion to improvements in food technology because these advancements have saved lives and stopped deficiency in many instances (enrichment of grains, vitamin K shots for infants, genetically modified bananas in Africa reducing incidence of vitamin A induced blindness etc).

+1

I have been using Vitafibr for quite a while because it works really well as a 1:1 replacement when I'm baking. Whilst it is a little quirky, I like not having to change any other volumes in the recipes, and they turn out good and tasty. Much easier to use than say Stevia. I've wondered whether there are any downsides to it but couldn't find anything that said it has any detrimental health effects, but will openly admit technical literature is way beyond my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Oats View Post
    +1

I have been using Vitafibr for quite a while because it works really well as a 1:1 replacement when I'm baking. Whilst it is a little quirky, I like not having to change any other volumes in the recipes, and they turn out good and tasty. Much easier to use than say Stevia. I've wondered whether there are any downsides to it but couldn't find anything that said it has any detrimental health effects, but will openly admit technical literature is way beyond my understanding.
    The ingredient in Vitafibr is isomaltooligosaccharide, which is a prebiotic fiber, which stimulates the growth of healthy bacteria in the intestines. I found one paper that reported improvements in lipid profiles and constipation in patients with chronic kidney disease on hemodialysis. Pretty good stuff as far as we know!

Thanks, that was the best news I had all week I was just cooking with it no and thought a couple of points others might find helpful if you wish to use it:
    - you can substitute half the sugar with Vitafibr in every recipe I've done with complete impunity tongue result.
    - if you do cream butter and Vitafibr (instead of sugar) it does go a bit flat and doesn't go 'pale and fluffy' but still works fine. Sponge seems to be a little lower but with a nice crisper top
    - adding liquid to it makes it an it you'd like. Regardless of what recipe says, add it to the dry ingredients first, then add liquids.

Right, I'm off to lift and then I can assist these beetroot muffins guilt free!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oats View Post
    Thanks, that was the best news I had all week I was just cooking with it no and thought a couple of points others might find helpful if you wish to use it:
    - you can substitute half the sugar with Vitafibr in every recipe I've done with complete impunity tongue result.
    - if you do cream butter and Vitafibr (instead of sugar) it does go a bit flat and doesn't go 'pale and fluffy' but still works fine. Sponge seems to be a little lower but with a nice crisper top
    - adding liquid to it makes it an it you'd like. Regardless of what recipe says, add it to the dry ingredients first, then add liquids.

Right, I'm off to lift and then I can assist these beetroot muffins guilt free!!
    Awesome! Glad that worked out for you! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thank You Robert for having something good to say about Genetically Enhanced Food. It isn’t all bad for all people. There are millions in this world that couldn’t eat if agriculture hadn’t developed new strains of seed and effective pesticides.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve47 View Post
    Thank You Robert for having something good to say about Genetically Enhanced Food. It isn’t all bad for all people. There are millions in this world that couldn’t eat if agriculture hadn’t developed new strains of seed and effective pesticides.
    you are very welcome buddy!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lindabrock View Post
    I have also used protein bars. Any more suggestions ?
    Depends what you are looking for. Quest, One Bars, Lenny & Larry Protein Cookies are all good choices off the top of my head.