starting strength gym

Thread: Fasciculations and cramps in calves

Default Fasciculations and cramps in calves

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    M/46/5'5/187
    ~3200/240p/350c/90f
    NLP since July with progress hindered by injuries/illness.

Robert, just wondering if this is a nutrition related problem.

Recently I've been having fasciculations and cramps in my calves. It's really knocking my confidence in the gym as I'm imagining a cramp happening when I'm doing a heavy set of squats. I've had a few twitches when squatting and doing other movements, but luckily no cramps yet with a heavy weight on my back. Last night I had to abort my workout as one of my calves just cramped up while simply standing up between sets of rows. It's still sore now. I felt it nearly go during a warm-up set and stopped that set immediately. Prior to the rows I had done 3 worksets of squats plus warmups.

I eat plenty of chicken, eggs, rice, oats, apples, cooked ham, greek yoghurt. A banana most days, with tinned peaches/fruit cocktail/pineapple. Dried fruit. ~500ml milk per day. Mixed vegetables some days. Peanut butter.

I've read that it might be down to levels of Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, and Sodium?

I put salt on my savoury dishes and also take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement that contains Magnesium (60mg).

Just wondering if I need to have a dedicated supplement?

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maddison View Post
    M/46/5'5/187
    ~3200/240p/350c/90f
    NLP since July with progress hindered by injuries/illness.

Robert, just wondering if this is a nutrition related problem.

Recently I've been having fasciculations and cramps in my calves. It's really knocking my confidence in the gym as I'm imagining a cramp happening when I'm doing a heavy set of squats. I've had a few twitches when squatting and doing other movements, but luckily no cramps yet with a heavy weight on my back. Last night I had to abort my workout as one of my calves just cramped up while simply standing up between sets of rows. It's still sore now. I felt it nearly go during a warm-up set and stopped that set immediately. Prior to the rows I had done 3 worksets of squats plus warmups.

I eat plenty of chicken, eggs, rice, oats, apples, cooked ham, greek yoghurt. A banana most days, with tinned peaches/fruit cocktail/pineapple. Dried fruit. ~500ml milk per day. Mixed vegetables some days. Peanut butter.

I've read that it might be down to levels of Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, and Sodium?

I put salt on my savoury dishes and also take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement that contains Magnesium (60mg).

Just wondering if I need to have a dedicated supplement?

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.
    Thanks for posting Andy!

It's difficult to say that this is nutrition related and yes you are correct regarding your electrolytes. The problem with mineral supplements is that if you take too much of one you may create an imbalance in the other because they compete for absorption. It sounds like you are eating foods that contain potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium. How is your hydration status? Are you drinking enough water?

How much is enough?

I probably drink around 1300ml of water per day, plus 500ml milk which I assume counts as it is nearly 90% water?

At the gym I'll probably drink another 300-500ml of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maddison View Post
    How much is enough?

I probably drink around 1300ml of water per day, plus 500ml milk which I assume counts as it is nearly 90% water?

At the gym I'll probably drink another 300-500ml of water.
    I'd try to make sure you have 2L in you before your workout and drink one during. See if that helps.

I thought a big reason for cramps is simply muscle fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by MattBraunstein View Post
    I thought a big reason for cramps is simply muscle fatigue.
    Not quite. There are many reasons but the electrolyte connection is that if you are not consuming enough potassium then your calcium channels stay open, which does not allow your muscle to stop contracting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Not quite. There are many reasons but the electrolyte connection is that if you are not consuming enough potassium then your calcium channels stay open, which does not allow your muscle to stop contracting.
    Morton's Lite Salt

It is a god send