starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas and Bloating on 200g/day of protein - any advice?

Default Gas and Bloating on 200g/day of protein - any advice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been farting about (pardon the pun, you'll see) with weight lifting and diets (mainly keto) for about a year after getting a bit tubby.
    For reasons that are obvious to you, and now apparent to me too, I did not get very far, however about a month ago I discovered starting strength.
    Things are going much better on LP and if there is one argument that I have definitely found compelling from our bombastic premier, it's that it's worth actually eating to get strong! I particularly liked "An adult male weighs at least 200lb" haha
    Anyway, I've seriously upped the amount of food I'm eating:
    220g Protein
    225g Carbs
    95g Fat
    2600cal
    That was yesterday anyway.
    It's been about a month and the whole time I have had RUTHLESS trouble with gas. Like, dead birds falling from the sky, rivers putrefying, preachers hand-wringing levels of ruthless.
    About 75g of that protein is coming from whey protein shakes, but it's isolate because I used to have trouble with the concentrate, presumably from lactose. Isolate never caused an issue before however.
    I had a quick search of the forum and I couldn't find anyone else having this problem (unless I'm just crap at the search).

Does anyone know if it will pass? If it won't, does anyone know a solution? My wife may divorce me if not... please help....

Quote Originally Posted by yowzman View Post
    Been farting about (pardon the pun, you'll see) with weight lifting and diets (mainly keto) for about a year after getting a bit tubby.
    For reasons that are obvious to you, and now apparent to me too, I did not get very far, however about a month ago I discovered starting strength.
    Things are going much better on LP and if there is one argument that I have definitely found compelling from our bombastic premier, it's that it's worth actually eating to get strong! I particularly liked "An adult male weighs at least 200lb" haha
    220g Protein
    225g Carbs
    95g Fat
    2600cal
    It's been about a month and the whole time I have had RUTHLESS trouble with gas. Like, dead birds falling from the sky, rivers putrefying, preachers hand-wringing levels of ruthless.
    About 75g of that protein is coming from whey protein shakes, but it's isolate because I used to have trouble with the concentrate, presumably from lactose. Isolate never caused an issue before however.
    I had a quick search of the forum and I couldn't find anyone else having this problem (unless I'm just crap at the search).

Does anyone know if it will pass? If it won't, does anyone know a solution? My wife may divorce me if not... please help....
    Thanks for posting!

So I'm not sure what is exactly causing the gas but you may want to start keeping a log of what you exactly you have eaten before it happens. Then start replacing some foods and see if this makes a difference. May be a temporary adjustment to your body taking in more nutrients than it has been accustomed to and may very well pass.

I'm lactose intolerant as well. When I first started on the whey isolate (before SS) after my workouts, I had some windy days for a bit. I stuck it out and it seems to have gotten to the point where I can tolerate it much better. Thankfully this occurred before my wife would have decided to leave me.

-Andrew

220g Protein
    225g Carbs
    95g Fat
    2600cal

Yowzman

#metoo

Thanks for the reply man!
    On low carb I had problems with diarrhea and gas in the past but never anything that could be considered out of a "wide" scope of normal, this has been constipation and gas beyond measure. It starts about 10 in the morning and doesn't relent all day. I've tried eliminating things that are typically problematic in the past with no success but this requires a solution if it doesn't settle down on its own.
    Could it be whey isolate? Could a probiotic help? Should I refuse to eat anything other than ribeye and sweet potatoe for every meal (if only)? There's so many different things to try according to google that I have serious option paralysis.

I will definitely start keeping a food diary that's a great shout, give it another couple of weeks and if no peace maybe try swapping the whey shakes for a chicken breast for a week, inconvenient as that may be.

Thanks for the reply man!
    On low carb I had problems with diarrhea and gas in the past but never anything that could be considered out of a "wide" scope of normal, this has been constipation and gas beyond measure. It starts about 10 in the morning and doesn't relent all day. I've tried eliminating things that are typically problematic in the past with no success but this requires a solution if it doesn't settle down on its own.
    Could it be whey isolate? Could a probiotic help? Should I refuse to eat anything other than ribeye and sweet potatoe for every meal (if only)? There's so many different things to try according to google that I have serious option paralysis.

I will definitely start keeping a food diary that's a great shout, give it another couple of weeks and if no peace maybe try swapping the whey shakes for a chicken breast for a week, inconvenient as that may be.
    You are very welcome man! Have tried looking into the FODMAP diet? May be of use for you. Bino is another option too. If you are eating beans or any other foods high in raffinose it will break it up and make it less gassy.

This is my world. I've never been able to tolerate a high carb diet for very long due to all the bloating, gas, etc.

I don't seem to have issues with dairy, so my best bet has been adding milk on top of a Paleo-ish diet. I think the Crossfit Football guys advocate this, and it's always worked well for me. Definitely am able to gain mass much easier with lots of carbs, but just can't seem to adapt to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You are very welcome man! Have tried looking into the FODMAP diet? May be of use for you. Bino is another option too. If you are eating beans or any other foods high in raffinose it will break it up and make it less gassy.
    I've heard of FODMAP but haven't been diagnosed IBS. Could be worth a punt anyway. Not heard of Bino, I'll look it up.
    Thanks for your help. I'll give these things a try.

Quote Originally Posted by industrialplaid View Post
    This is my world. I've never been able to tolerate a high carb diet for very long due to all the bloating, gas, etc.

I don't seem to have issues with dairy, so my best bet has been adding milk on top of a Paleo-ish diet. I think the Crossfit Football guys advocate this, and it's always worked well for me. Definitely am able to gain mass much easier with lots of carbs, but just can't seem to adapt to it.
    That works pretty well. Gas is unavoidable when you are taking in enough fiber. Not a bad thing, just annoying. My experience with bloating is that I only get it when I eat high carb high sodium foods. This is because glucose stimulates water and sodium transport across the small intestine. Additionally, since many carbohydrate sources (i.e. fruits and vegetables) have a higher water content (i.e. potatoes are ~90% water), this is further magnified. Additionally, grains tend to be high in both carbohydrates and sodium, which also contributes to this effect. It has been my experience that the bloating is usually attenuated when you just keep your intake to an amount that meets your needs without exceeding it too much.

I've heard of FODMAP but haven't been diagnosed IBS. Could be worth a punt anyway. Not heard of Bino, I'll look it up.
    Thanks for your help. I'll give these things a try.
    You are very welcome!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That works pretty well. Gas is unavoidable when you are taking in enough fiber. Not a bad thing, just annoying. My experience with bloating is that I only get it when I eat high carb high sodium foods. This is because glucose stimulates water and sodium transport across the small intestine. Additionally, since many carbohydrate sources (i.e. fruits and vegetables) have a higher water content (i.e. potatoes are ~90% water), this is further magnified. Additionally, grains tend to be high in both carbohydrates and sodium, which also contributes to this effect. It has been my experience that the bloating is usually attenuated when you just keep your intake to an amount that meets your needs without exceeding it too much.
    Very interesting stuff. I've never heard anyone else talk about why grains might be causing the reaction other than "GLUTEN BAD!" which doesn't help when rice, oats, and all the other stuff we're "supposed to eat" does the same thing. Thanks!

I think one of my problems is that I'm naturally very thing (was 6'2" and 145 lbs when I was in my early 20s) so I have to eat a LOT to gain, which means a LOT of gas. Have been trying to find the sweet spot, but it's tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast