starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine Question

Default Creatine Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

Do you have any preference on type of creatine? I'm specifically wondering about creatine HCL. The claim is that's better absorbed without any of the stomach problems usually attributed to creatine monohydrate. Also, that it doesn't require a loading phase. Does this mean you wouldn't need to take it daily (I'm particularly skeptical about this)?

For what it's worth, creatine monohydrate upsets my stomach a little when I first take it, but that goes away pretty quickly (second or third day on it). My compliance just tends to be bad. I usually forget to take it on non-training days, so I just went off it completely.

Thanks!
    -Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ErikSchmidt View Post
    Hi Robert,

Do you have any preference on type of creatine? I'm specifically wondering about creatine HCL. The claim is that's better absorbed without any of the stomach problems usually attributed to creatine monohydrate. Also, that it doesn't require a loading phase. Does this mean you wouldn't need to take it daily (I'm particularly skeptical about this)?

For what it's worth, creatine monohydrate upsets my stomach a little when I first take it, but that goes away pretty quickly (second or third day on it). My compliance just tends to be bad. I usually forget to take it on non-training days, so I just went off it completely.

Thanks!
    -Erik
    Not much evidence on it. Creating Monohydrate does not require a loading phase, people just assume it does because you can do it. If you start at a maintenance dose of 5 grams per day it just takes longer to saturate the cells but you eventually arrive at the same place. I say try out the HCL, see if it works, and report back!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

FWIW, I tried the creatine HCl pills and found them completely useless. There was definitely a difference using monohydrate instead. Admittedly just one data point, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    FWIW, I tried the creatine HCl pills and found them completely useless. There was definitely a difference using monohydrate instead. Admittedly just one data point, but there you go.
    Not surprising Brodie!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Interesting. I ordered some powder, *sniff*, from Amazon. The brand is BulkSupplements. I should be getting it tomorrow. I'm not really sure what I'm expecting but I'll report back what I experience lol.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikSchmidt View Post
    Interesting. I ordered some powder, *sniff*, from Amazon. The brand is BulkSupplements. I should be getting it tomorrow. I'm not really sure what I'm expecting but I'll report back what I experience lol.
    Keep us posted!