starting strength gym

Thread: Weight loss plan

Default Weight loss plan

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The questions here are 1) whether my proposed macros are reasonable for the purpose, and 2) how much measured strength can I expect to lose over the next month with this plan:

Height: 5'-10.5"
    Weight: 240 Waist, about 46"

One month weight loss goal: down to 230 lb. (Then re-focus on strength for one month, etc., cycle. Eventually want to get down to 210lb, at least. 40" waist, anyway.

I have been pretty consistently 220+ pounds over the past 8-10 years; At 240 for the past year.
    I started SS three months ago, have been very consistent with the LP: no missed workouts, 5 lb. increments (2.5 on presses recently).

Current LP:
    squat 205 x5x3, press 97.5 x5x3 (130 bench), DL 275 x5x1

For the entire three months on LP, my body weight has stayed between 240 and 243 (pretty amazing to me); my abdominal fat has not changed, I think. Nor anywhere else, as far as I can tell. My diet is quite consistent, and I have a good system for tracking macros. The past six days averages: 2150 kcal, F 64, C 167, P 215

My proposed macros are 45F, 150C, 225P (1900 kCal).
    I plan to continue my MWF workout schedule, expecting that I will have to reduce the weight as the month goes by.

Given individual differences, etc. , etc., is there anything remarkable about my proposed macros?
    How much strength might I expect to lose over the month? Plan/try to stay at current LP for the month?
    Should I add in some HIIT? (But that would change everything else, of course.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarksin View Post
    The questions here are 1) whether my proposed macros are reasonable for the purpose, and 2) how much measured strength can I expect to lose over the next month with this plan:

Height: 5'-10.5"
    Weight: 240 Waist, about 46"

One month weight loss goal: down to 230 lb. (Then re-focus on strength for one month, etc., cycle. Eventually want to get down to 210lb, at least. 40" waist, anyway.

I have been pretty consistently 220+ pounds over the past 8-10 years; At 240 for the past year.
    I started SS three months ago, have been very consistent with the LP: no missed workouts, 5 lb. increments (2.5 on presses recently).

Current LP:
    squat 205 x5x3, press 97.5 x5x3 (130 bench), DL 275 x5x1

For the entire three months on LP, my body weight has stayed between 240 and 243 (pretty amazing to me); my abdominal fat has not changed, I think. Nor anywhere else, as far as I can tell. My diet is quite consistent, and I have a good system for tracking macros. The past six days averages: 2150 kcal, F 64, C 167, P 215

My proposed macros are 45F, 150C, 225P (1900 kCal).
    I plan to continue my MWF workout schedule, expecting that I will have to reduce the weight as the month goes by.

Given individual differences, etc. , etc., is there anything remarkable about my proposed macros?
    How much strength might I expect to lose over the month? Plan/try to stay at current LP for the month?
    Should I add in some HIIT? (But that would change everything else, of course.)

Thanks
    Thanks for posting bud. Hard to say, most people in your age bracket are underweight. I'd say you can probably get pretty far and still get stronger provided protein stays up. You'll have to just try it out and find out. Those macros sound pretty good for fat loss and the protein is more than sufficient to spare muscle. Are you losing weight on those macros?

I have just today started the lower caloric intake, so I will know some results of F45-C150-P225 in a couple of weeks. Probably will need to reduce fat some more, perhaps also carbs down to 125. I have not lost any weight at about F75/C175/P200 over the past three months. (Yes, generally less than 2200 kcal/day). Thanks for your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarksin View Post
    I have just today started the lower caloric intake, so I will know some results of F45-C150-P225 in a couple of weeks. Probably will need to reduce fat some more, perhaps also carbs down to 125. I have not lost any weight at about F75/C175/P200 over the past three months. (Yes, generally less than 2200 kcal/day). Thanks for your observations.
    See what happens! Eventually protein will probably have to come down. I think as long as you stay at 180 or higher you should be fine. I'd cut fat first, then take your protein down to 200, then maybe go lower on carbs. I like to delay the carbohydrate "danger zone" as long as possible because low carb tends to really wear down the energy while stimulating the cravings.