starting strength gym

Thread: Whey protein vs BCAA

Default Whey protein vs BCAA

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Realitively new here so forgive me if is seems obvious. My background is 44 yo, 228 lbs, 77” tall.

1) Should/can BCAA consumption be included when adding up daily protein requirement?
    2) What’s really the difference between whey protein and BCAA and should I be using both, if so, how?
    3) Is BCAA a substitute for whey? From my reading I think no.....
    4) What is your opinion of BulkSupplements line of products? Looking for a possible alternative.

I’ve gained about 20lbs and an inch or two on my waist from LP and am trying to make sure my lift numbers keep going up without putting on much more fat then necessary.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    Realitively new here so forgive me if is seems obvious. My background is 44 yo, 228 lbs, 77” tall.

1) Should/can BCAA consumption be included when adding up daily protein requirement?
    2) What’s really the difference between whey protein and BCAA and should I be using both, if so, how?
    3) Is BCAA a substitute for whey? From my reading I think no.....
    4) What is your opinion of BulkSupplements line of products? Looking for a possible alternative.

I’ve gained about 20lbs and an inch or two on my waist from LP and am trying to make sure my lift numbers keep going up without putting on much more fat then necessary.

Thanks!
    Hey buddy!

1) Nah, the amount is marginal
    2) Not really much. Whey protein contains BCAAs so just buy a reputable brand and you're good
    3) Nope
    4) Never had them so I can't form an opinion. In general, go for supplements that are USP verified.

If you want to skew the weight gain towards muscle mass, keep your fat intake down and you'll be golden.

Is it going to say USP verified on the label? How do I check this.

One more, based on my stats above what would be a good starting point for calories and macro percentages? I just started tracking this on my phone.

Thanks coach!!! This forum is great!

Follow up questions:
    1) Where do I find out if a supplement is USP verified?
    2) What would you recommend as a good starting point for me in terms of daily macros and calories?

Hopefully this isn’t a repeat post, I can’t remember if I replied already.

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    Follow up questions:
    1) Where do I find out if a supplement is USP verified?
    2) What would you recommend as a good starting point for me in terms of daily macros and calories?

Hopefully this isn’t a repeat post, I can’t remember if I replied already.

Thanks again!!!
    1) Look on the label or check out:
    Quality Supplements |. That link is right off the USP web site

2) Track for a week, figure or what you’re eating to maintain and the subtract 200-500 calories and make sure you’re eating your weight in protein.