starting strength gym

Thread: Can I get stronger (increase 5 rep max) and grow muscle mass while on a kcal deficit?

Default Can I get stronger (increase 5 rep max) and grow muscle mass while on a kcal deficit?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Current Stats
    Male
    25 years old
    5'7"
    190 lbs

5RM's:
    Squat: 190 lbs
    Deadlift: 220 lbs
    OHP: 100 lbs
    Bench: 135 lbs

Hey guys I’ve only been training for 2 months, very new to this. I used to do a lot of sports as a kid, but starting to lift properly for the first time really. A friend of mine who understands lifting a lot more than I do made me a basic strength programme which I’ve been doing for 2 months 3-4 times a week (and told me to check this website out too). It’s all the basic exercises like squat, deadlift, OHP, bench, some dumbbell exercises etc.

However my question is about nutrition. I always see these posts about how you either have to bulk and build muscle (and also inevitably some fat) or cut after you already made gains (go to kcal deficit to cut fat and hopefully not too much muscle)

When it comes to me personally, I am overweight (as you can see from stats) not sure about my body fat %, I have some muscle too though. The thing is, long term I want to be strong, have a lot of muscle mass and a lower body fat % (not shredded or 6pack or anything, just less fat). But I’m also a bit tired of being overweight.

My question is, can I go on kcal deficit right now (if my maintenance is 2.4k let's say I'd eat 2k kcal a day), while continuing to lift 4 times a week and still expect to gain a decent amount of muscle while losing fat (and use my “noob gains” effectively) Or should I just eat at maintenance level, make sure i eat healthy, get enough protein in etc, build muscle for like 8 more months - 1 year and only then worry about cutting/losing fat? I’d much rather already start losing fat now while lifting every week. Is it a good idea to go on a deficit if I want to build muscle too, or should I just focus on building muscle for now

Thanks a lot for your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Karedog View Post
    Current Stats
    Male
    25 years old
    5'7"
    190 lbs

5RM's:
    Squat: 190 lbs
    Deadlift: 220 lbs
    OHP: 100 lbs
    Bench: 135 lbs

Hey guys I’ve only been training for 2 months, very new to this. I used to do a lot of sports as a kid, but starting to lift properly for the first time really. A friend of mine who understands lifting a lot more than I do made me a basic strength programme which I’ve been doing for 2 months 3-4 times a week (and told me to check this website out too). It’s all the basic exercises like squat, deadlift, OHP, bench, some dumbbell exercises etc.

However my question is about nutrition. I always see these posts about how you either have to bulk and build muscle (and also inevitably some fat) or cut after you already made gains (go to kcal deficit to cut fat and hopefully not too much muscle)

When it comes to me personally, I am overweight (as you can see from stats) not sure about my body fat %, I have some muscle too though. The thing is, long term I want to be strong, have a lot of muscle mass and a lower body fat % (not shredded or 6pack or anything, just less fat). But I’m also a bit tired of being overweight.

My question is, can I go on kcal deficit right now (if my maintenance is 2.4k let's say I'd eat 2k kcal a day), while continuing to lift 4 times a week and still expect to gain a decent amount of muscle while losing fat (and use my “noob gains” effectively) Or should I just eat at maintenance level, make sure i eat healthy, get enough protein in etc, build muscle for like 8 more months - 1 year and only then worry about cutting/losing fat? I’d much rather already start losing fat now while lifting every week. Is it a good idea to go on a deficit if I want to build muscle too, or should I just focus on building muscle for now

Thanks a lot for your opinions
    Thanks for posting man! My general thought is that given your current numbers and your age you likely can make progress while on a cut, up to a point. I'd just get as much off as you can until it gets hard then up your carbs and maintain while you finish out the LP.

Thanks for the answer Robert. I'll go on a reasonable deficit and see what happens to my weight, strength and mood. Enjoyed your conversation on the Art of Manliness podcast btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Karedog View Post
    Thanks for the answer Robert. I'll go on a reasonable deficit and see what happens to my weight, strength and mood. Enjoyed your conversation on the Art of Manliness podcast btw.
    Good deal man! Glad you enjoyed the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Thanks for posting man! My general thought is that given your current numbers and your age you likely can make progress while on a cut, up to a point. I'd just get as much off as you can until it gets hard then up your carbs and maintain while you finish out the LP.
    Robert
    I am 65, 5' 7" and now 192...having started LP in late 2017 at about 170.

My lift numbers are less but not that different from above case Karedog. However, having blood glucose control issues and HTN...and frankly I am too big. It's ridiculous. I have a bioimpedance scale, and even considering the inaccuracies, my BF-27% has stayed very constant throughout the training, so much of weight is muscle (but still increased fat and mostly visceral). But it's still high and old men do not need big bellies and 27% BF. I feel a strong need to go deficit but I doubt I would get stronger as an older person in deficit. Maybe that is not bad, as long as I get rid of some of this BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    Robert
    I am 65, 5' 7" and now 192...having started LP in late 2017 at about 170.

My lift numbers are less but not that different from above case Karedog. However, having blood glucose control issues and HTN...and frankly I am too big. It's ridiculous. I have a bioimpedance scale, and even considering the inaccuracies, my BF-27% has stayed very constant throughout the training, so much of weight is muscle (but still increased fat and mostly visceral). But it's still high and old men do not need big bellies and 27% BF. I feel a strong need to go deficit but I doubt I would get stronger as an older person in deficit. Maybe that is not bad, as long as I get rid of some of this BF.
    It’s all about priorities. The high body fat and hypertension is a bigger issue than lifting PRs. Drop the weight, keep training and whatever happens under the bar happens. Once the fat is off you can chase prs later

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It’s all about priorities. The high body fat and hypertension is a bigger issue than lifting PRs. Drop the weight, keep training and whatever happens under the bar happens. Once the fat is off you can chase prs later
    Well....I might have some difficulty persuading ssc bout a plan like this. I’ve already dropped some bar weight and reset from back problems. Was up to dL 210 and squat 180, op 85.....when that happened. Lowest I ever got BF was about 22% and was significantly prior to beginning lifting.

To take your advice I would need a plan , probably to lose BF. Would need a reasonable goal weight or BF.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    Well....I might have some difficulty persuading ssc bout a plan like this. I’ve already dropped some bar weight and reset from back problems. Was up to dL 210 and squat 180, op 85.....when that happened. Lowest I ever got BF was about 22% and was significantly prior to beginning lifting.

To take your advice I would need a plan , probably to lose BF. Would need a reasonable goal weight or BF.
    I'd say just train and see what happens. You'll probably get stronger.