starting strength gym

Thread: Fish Oil, Vitamin D, etc.

Default Fish Oil, Vitamin D, etc.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Santana,

Quick question. Other than the obligatory whey and creatine, what other supplements do you take/suggest? What is your stance on fish oil, vitamin D, and the like?
    I know Feigenbaum's opinion on the matter, but would like to hear yours as well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Hey Santana,

Quick question. Other than the obligatory whey and creatine, what other supplements do you take/suggest? What is your stance on fish oil, vitamin D, and the like?
    I know Feigenbaum's opinion on the matter, but would like to hear yours as well.

Thanks.
    Thanks for posting! So my thoughts on Vitamin D are that if you live above the 35th latitude and don’t get much sun you may need to supplement. You can get it from milk but you need about 6 cups per day to get the RDA. Shiitake mushrooms are a good plant source and of course cod liver oil if you wanna go all out. The truth is that there isn’t much in our food supply and we are generally too heavily clothed to get enough from the sun. That being said going out in the sun for 15 minutes a couple of times per week without sunscreen is a good way to get it as well. Fish oil I’m all for especially if you don’t eat much fish in your diet. 1-3 grams per day is a succulent dose. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Fish oil I’m all for especially if you don’t eat much fish in your diet. 1-3 grams per day is a succulent dose.
    Coach, I have had slight to moderately high triglycerides in blood tests for a decade but all other lipid measurements are fairly normal. I have another blood test in exactly two weeks and would like to try a "fish oil" experiment. How much in terms of EPA/DHA would you recommend to conduct this experiment (i know its purely anecdotal, but the opportunity presents itself). I have the option for fasted or unfasten. Which should i do? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Coach, I have had slight to moderately high triglycerides in blood tests for a decade but all other lipid measurements are fairly normal. I have another blood test in exactly two weeks and would like to try a "fish oil" experiment. How much in terms of EPA/DHA would you recommend to conduct this experiment (i know its purely anecdotal, but the opportunity presents itself). I have the option for fasted or unfasten. Which should i do? Thanks!
    I’d say 500 mg of EPA+DHA is pretty good. I’m not sure what sort of response to expect if your levels are already good though.