starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Oats Post Workout

Default Overnight Oats Post Workout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

I'm male, 29, dad bod, 6' 3", 215 lbs, 6.5 weeks into LP (Squat 95 --> 200), and I have gained about 12 lbs since starting.

I work out in the morning and have been using an Overnight Oats recipe as my post workout nutrition and breakfast on Training days. On non-Training days I eat 6 eggs with cheese.

The recipe is as follows:
    -2 cups Oats
    -16 oz whole milk
    -2 scoops whey protein powder
    -3 Tbsp peanut butter

This comes out to 1585 Cal, 155 g carb, 60 g fat, 107 g protein. I'm wondering if this is a sufficient post workout meal or if it is superfluous in any way.

I target about 4500 Cal per day with 1 g/lb protein and 2 g/lb carb.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evs0716 View Post
    Hi Robert,

I'm male, 29, dad bod, 6' 3", 215 lbs, 6.5 weeks into LP (Squat 95 --> 200), and I have gained about 12 lbs since starting.

I work out in the morning and have been using an Overnight Oats recipe as my post workout nutrition and breakfast on Training days. On non-Training days I eat 6 eggs with cheese.

The recipe is as follows:
    -2 cups Oats
    -16 oz whole milk
    -2 scoops whey protein powder
    -3 Tbsp peanut butter

This comes out to 1585 Cal, 155 g carb, 60 g fat, 107 g protein. I'm wondering if this is a sufficient post workout meal or if it is superfluous in any way.

I target about 4500 Cal per day with 1 g/lb protein and 2 g/lb carb.

Thanks
    Too much fat and fiber for a post workout meal. Your body needs carbs and protein fast. A sandwich is a better alternative or meat and potatoes/rice

Thanks for the quick and honest response. Would eggs and hash browns be an acceptable and more breakfast-y choice?

Thanks for the quick and honest response. Would eggs and hash browns be an acceptable and more breakfast-y choice?
    You’re welcome! Egg whites and Potatoes would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You’re welcome! Egg whites and Potatoes would be a better choice.
    Good deal. Thanks Robert!

Good deal. Thanks Robert!
    You’re welcome!

When it comes to your meal makeup, think of it like this. Before and after you train keep fat almost non existent. You want your body to use carbs, with no third macro nutrient getting I the way. Your other meals, add some fat, but generally less than you think. Carbs are your friend.

Hi Robert,
    This thread is somewhat old, but I am afraid I have been doing the same thing as the OP. I have been eating about 80g of steel cut oats before workouts, and sometimes after, thinking this would be my carb fuel for the workout. So this has too much fiber for before/after workout? I want to do what is ideal, so maybe I should be eating something else. I know you really promote eating enough fiber, but do you try to not eat much of it before/after workout?
    Thanks! Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by csapaugh View Post
    Hi Robert,
    This thread is somewhat old, but I am afraid I have been doing the same thing as the OP. I have been eating about 80g of steel cut oats before workouts, and sometimes after, thinking this would be my carb fuel for the workout. So this has too much fiber for before/after workout? I want to do what is ideal, so maybe I should be eating something else. I know you really promote eating enough fiber, but do you try to not eat much of it before/after workout?
    Thanks! Cameron
    The general rule is to stick to higher glycemic index carbohydrates around workout times but if you tolerate it well and like it then roll with it. I’ve been eating oatmeal ore workout for a while now and never had a problem. Comes down to your bowel buddy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    The general rule is to stick to higher glycemic index carbohydrates around workout times but if you tolerate it well and like it then roll with it. I’ve been eating oatmeal ore workout for a while now and never had a problem. Comes down to your bowel buddy.
    Robert, would a simple milk/whey protein shake be sufficient for a post-workout meal? Frankly this is all I have time for in the morning.

I'll generally have a fuller breakfast later, but first thing in the morning trying to get to work this is about all I can manage quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast