starting strength gym

Thread: protein and limited kidney function

Default protein and limited kidney function

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm asking for a friend who is not part of the SS community yet.

I've introduced her to SS and she seems to enjoy it. She takes on the training herself, is interested in buying my lesser weights, and to my delight, has begun to look things up on her on as well.

She has limited kidney function and has let this limit her to a more sedimentary lifestyle than she otherwise would live. I've encouraged her to drink more water and such, as well as try SS, and her kidney function has actually improved some!

Anyways, she had been reading something like as her body processes protein, waste is produced that would impact her kidneys. Since I know there's a lot of junk science/recommendations out there--particularly when it comes to the injured/afflicted--I was wondering if somebody with some knowledge on the subject could let me know the truth about this. I never mentioned protein to her, so the fact that she's taking the initiative shows real motivation. I would hate for that to be limited by garbage. Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

Yes, this is true. Protein is hard on the kidneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post
    Yes, this is true. Protein is hard on the kidneys.
    How do you know kidney function impaired ?

Simple. Just look at the medical literature for people with CKD. There are many dietary guidelines for people with kidney disease. e.g. eating bananas is not a good idea as your potassium levels can go too high. Kidneys are responsible for the biochemical balance of many things. When they go wrong, they upset everything.

Simple. Just look at the medical literature for people with CKD. There are many dietary guidelines for people with kidney disease. e.g. eating bananas is not a good idea as your potassium levels can go too high. Kidneys are responsible for the biochemical balance of many things. When they go wrong, they upset everything.
    I guess I asked the wrong question.....as I am a medical professional.

Yes, I understand that there are categories of AKD and CKD, and to a degree these are moving targets. What I wanted to know is how, in this specific case are we to understand that there is diminished kidney function. If GFR and Creatinine are within reasonable limits, and there is no urea cycle issue, then it's pretty certain you will not have kidney probelms related to higher protein intake. Dr Feigenbaum was adamant and clear that the data does not support protein intake related kidney dysfunction in "healthy" individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    I'm asking for a friend who is not part of the SS community yet.

I've introduced her to SS and she seems to enjoy it. She takes on the training herself, is interested in buying my lesser weights, and to my delight, has begun to look things up on her on as well.

She has limited kidney function and has let this limit her to a more sedimentary lifestyle than she otherwise would live. I've encouraged her to drink more water and such, as well as try SS, and her kidney function has actually improved some!

Anyways, she had been reading something like as her body processes protein, waste is produced that would impact her kidneys. Since I know there's a lot of junk science/recommendations out there--particularly when it comes to the injured/afflicted--I was wondering if somebody with some knowledge on the subject could let me know the truth about this. I never mentioned protein to her, so the fact that she's taking the initiative shows real motivation. I would hate for that to be limited by garbage. Thanks for any help y'all can offer!
    Do you know the severity of the kidney dysfunction? Does she have CKD?

starting strength coach development program
    Potassium restriction depends on the stage of the disease. You typically don’t start restricting potassium until stage IV CKD. To add to that there are nephrologists who are against the traditional advice to restrict protein in pre dialysis CKD patients because they do not want them to get malnourished. The rationale for protein restriction is to delay the progression and thus delay dialysis. Some nephrologist figure that they are going to end up on dialysis one way or another and it’s better for the patient to stay well nourished versus the opposite.