starting strength gym

Thread: At a loss

Default At a loss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rob,
    Thanks for all the advice you provide. I have a few questions. So, i've been having some rather bad low back pain of late and i mainly put it down to bad form in the Squat, causing flexion. I have since stopped LP and worked (hard on form) to fix this and now feel i'm ready to run LP more effectively this time round. My question regarding nutrition is do you think i should lose or maintain current weight through LP. I am 37yr old male, 5' 10", 198lb, somewhere between 25-30% bf with a 40.5" waist. I seem to maintain around 2,700cals. I tried LP at 2,500cals but Squat got super heavy real quick (possibly form related). What would your advice be to get me through LP. Ideally i would like to get my Squat up to the mid 200's and move on to more intermediate training. Also, i know your not the technique guy but do you think my Squat is on the right track here by taking a look at this form please with a coaches eye.

Old form (flexion)
    YouTube

Several weeks at light weights to try and fix back angle
    YouTube

So, to sum up. I dont know if i should cut bodyweight or maintain and get my numbers up, adding weight to the bar and maybe add in 1 to 2 x prowler sessions after training. What would be your suggestion for someone in my position Rob.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback. Keep up the great work on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Hey Rob,
    Thanks for all the advice you provide. I have a few questions. So, i've been having some rather bad low back pain of late and i mainly put it down to bad form in the Squat, causing flexion. I have since stopped LP and worked (hard on form) to fix this and now feel i'm ready to run LP more effectively this time round. My question regarding nutrition is do you think i should lose or maintain current weight through LP. I am 37yr old male, 5' 10", 198lb, somewhere between 25-30% bf with a 40.5" waist. I seem to maintain around 2,700cals. I tried LP at 2,500cals but Squat got super heavy real quick (possibly form related). What would your advice be to get me through LP. Ideally i would like to get my Squat up to the mid 200's and move on to more intermediate training. Also, i know your not the technique guy but do you think my Squat is on the right track here by taking a look at this form please with a coaches eye.

Old form (flexion)
    YouTube

Several weeks at light weights to try and fix back angle
    YouTube

So, to sum up. I dont know if i should cut bodyweight or maintain and get my numbers up, adding weight to the bar and maybe add in 1 to 2 x prowler sessions after training. What would be your suggestion for someone in my position Rob.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback. Keep up the great work on this forum.
    Thanks for posting buddy. Just so you know, each and every SSC is a "technique guy/gal." After all, it's what the book was primarily written on and what we primarily evaluated on in obtaining the credential. I just happen to also be a RD :-)

So both of these videos look similar to me. The main issue that I see is that you are high on both. You are high because your stance is too wide and your knees aren't out. Fix that problem first.

You can either maintain or cut body weight. If you cut I can't promise you that you'll continue making progress on the program. One of the assumptions of the program is that you are eucaloric or hypercaloric and hypocaloric conditions are typically contraindicated for the vast majority of trainees. You'll have to play with it and find out.

Thanks Rob. I'll try to hit better depth and work on stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Thanks Rob. I'll try to hit better depth and work on stance.
    You are very welcome!