starting strength gym

Thread: Digestion/Calories

Post Digestion/Calories

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    I started my LP two weeks ago and I am running into two issues with my diet. First, I am lactose intolerant. I tried taking Lactaid and drinking a few glasses of whole milk a day but the Lactaid did not really do much (regardless of how many tablets I took). I am really struggling to get my calories up. I am eating a lot of nuts/nut butters to increase my calories but it is not enough. I also eat a MetRx bar every day to get in some extra calories, but I do not want to rely too heavily on more supplements/etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Having said that... I am also wondering if anyone has experienced lethargy from eating Too much. Even just increasing my calories to 3,500/day over the past few weeks has made me feel extremely sluggish and it is interfering with my training. I realize that this issue does not really square with the first. On the one hand, I know that I need to keep my calories up in order to do the program properly. On the other, eating this much is making me feel like crap.

If it helps: I am 5'9", 175lbs, and I am guessing I am between 17-20% body fat (but I am really not sure; nor am I sure how to go about measuring it correctly).

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Thomas View Post
    Hello,
    I started my LP two weeks ago and I am running into two issues with my diet. First, I am lactose intolerant. I tried taking Lactaid and drinking a few glasses of whole milk a day but the Lactaid did not really do much (regardless of how many tablets I took). I am really struggling to get my calories up. I am eating a lot of nuts/nut butters to increase my calories but it is not enough. I also eat a MetRx bar every day to get in some extra calories, but I do not want to rely too heavily on more supplements/etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Having said that... I am also wondering if anyone has experienced lethargy from eating Too much. Even just increasing my calories to 3,500/day over the past few weeks has made me feel extremely sluggish and it is interfering with my training. I realize that this issue does not really square with the first. On the one hand, I know that I need to keep my calories up in order to do the program properly. On the other, eating this much is making me feel like crap.

If it helps: I am 5'9", 175lbs, and I am guessing I am between 17-20% body fat (but I am really not sure; nor am I sure how to go about measuring it correctly).

Thank you!
    Thanks for posting! What are your macros? How are your lifts progressing???

I am eating about 3,200 calories a day (struggling to get beyond that, and even that is coming from a lot of bars and shakes, which I know is not great), with about 20% coming from protein (180-190 grams of protein, which know is a bit high), 30% from fats, and 50% from carbs. My lifts are not progressing in the miraculous way people doing the program describe. I have tried to add 5lbs. to my squat and deadlift and 2lbs to my press and bench press each workout. I've been missing my squats most workouts and end up decreasing the weight, but the rest have been progressing well. I am going to start working with a SSC soon, so hopefully that will help if my problems are technique related.

I am eating about 3,200 calories a day (struggling to get beyond that, and even that is coming from a lot of bars and shakes, which I know is not great), with about 20% coming from protein (180-190 grams of protein, which know is a bit high), 30% from fats, and 50% from carbs. My lifts are not progressing in the miraculous way people doing the program describe. I have tried to add 5lbs. to my squat and deadlift and 2lbs to my press and bench press each workout. I've been missing my squats most workouts and end up decreasing the weight, but the rest have been progressing well. I am going to start working with a SSC soon, so hopefully that will help if my problems are technique related.
    Are you actually eating this much 7 days per week? How much are you lifting?
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 06-09-2018 at 06:00 PM.

I am 5'9", 175lbs, and I think I am between 15-20% body fat but I am really not sure. It is a struggle, but I am eating this much every day. For the first four or five days I was eating 4,000 calories, but that was just not sustainable (especially when I had to cut milk out of my diet). I wish there was a way to take in some extra calories from whole foods without feeling lethargic/crappy from eating constantly.

Just finished my second week doing the program:
    BP: 140 (up from 130)
    P: 90 (up from 82)
    S: 190 (up from 175)
    DL: 210 (up from 195)
    Not power cleaning yet (waiting until I meet with a SSC--hopefully next week)

And my sleep is dialed in. It has always been a huge priority for me even before I started training. 8-10 hours/night.

starting strength coach development program
    I am 5'9", 175lbs, and I think I am between 15-20% body fat but I am really not sure. It is a struggle, but I am eating this much every day. For the first four or five days I was eating 4,000 calories, but that was just not sustainable (especially when I had to cut milk out of my diet). I wish there was a way to take in some extra calories from whole foods without feeling lethargic/crappy from eating constantly.

Just finished my second week doing the program:
    BP: 140 (up from 130)
    P: 90 (up from 82)
    S: 190 (up from 175)
    DL: 210 (up from 195)
    Not power cleaning yet (waiting until I meet with a SSC--hopefully next week)
    Are you stuck or are you still making progress?