starting strength gym

Thread: Calorie Intake and Rate of Increase

Default Calorie Intake and Rate of Increase

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts on the forum. They're extremely informative and helpful for me as someone with a little experience weight training for 5 years. I'm looking to start a dedicated strength program after the Summer, the only reason I am waiting till after the Summer is I will be away a lot and can't guarantee the workouts I would like.

For the past 6-9 months, I have been consuming approx 2600 calories (195P 101F 228C). Obviously some days above, some days below. I log the vast majority of what I eat and would say I eat relatively clean with 3-4 workouts per week.

On a recent reading, I had:
    Weight: 192lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Bodyfat: 18.6%

My question(s), based on these numbers is:
    A) Should I look to drop body fat any further before starting a strength program?
    B) What level of calorie intake should I be aiming for in a program comprising of 4 workouts a week, where strength gains are prioritised and body composition is not vital but would prefer to keep any fat gain to a moderate level?
    C) What is an ideal rate of increase to reach the calorie intake goal?

Sorry for the multi question and thanks again for your expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieMack12 View Post
    Hi Robert,

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts on the forum. They're extremely informative and helpful for me as someone with a little experience weight training for 5 years. I'm looking to start a dedicated strength program after the Summer, the only reason I am waiting till after the Summer is I will be away a lot and can't guarantee the workouts I would like.

For the past 6-9 months, I have been consuming approx 2600 calories (195P 101F 228C). Obviously some days above, some days below. I log the vast majority of what I eat and would say I eat relatively clean with 3-4 workouts per week.

On a recent reading, I had:
    Weight: 192lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Bodyfat: 18.6%

My question(s), based on these numbers is:
    A) Should I look to drop body fat any further before starting a strength program?
    B) What level of calorie intake should I be aiming for in a program comprising of 4 workouts a week, where strength gains are prioritised and body composition is not vital but would prefer to keep any fat gain to a moderate level?
    C) What is an ideal rate of increase to reach the calorie intake goal?

Sorry for the multi question and thanks again for your expertise!
    Thanks for the kind words buddy! I'm glad you found your way over to us and wish you the best on your journey. See response below:

A) If you want to give yourself a bigger buffer you can go down to 185 but i would not go lower than that. Definitely intend to come back up afterwards too.
    B) Without working with you I cannot give any individualized recommendations but in general most men do well with 300 grams of carbohydrates and 180 grams of protein to start out. The remaining calories can come from fat. If you find you are getting too fluffy, then scale back the fat.
    C) I wouldn't worry about this. Focus on PRs. PRs are the primary metric of progress.

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieMack12 View Post
    Hi Robert,

Many thanks for that!
    You are very welcome!