starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition guidance for a FAT millenial wanting to be Strong and Healthy.

Default Nutrition guidance for a FAT millenial wanting to be Strong and Healthy.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Long Story Short, I am FAT, I used to be much fatter. I started out at 440-450lbs at 5 foot 8, Male. I am now 29, hovering around 330-340lbs after a year of going to the gym not really on any sort of set program. I am struggling with binge eating, but I've been able to reign it in as of late. I'm in the process of reading the Blue book, but what I really need guidance in is nutrition, which is why I am here. I basically lost the majority of weight so far through calorie restriction and doing a typical bro split 5 days a week, but I am not strong, Current 5RM Bench:175, Squat:225, OHP:125, Deadlift:335, and I'm still fat, I want to change that. From what I have read so far in the book, and from doing some basic research online, SSNLP is the most optimal when the trainee is an underweight 150 lb kid wanting to get stronk. I am the reverse of that in spades.

How big of a caloric deficit should I be in to effectively progress in SSNLP while "losing weight, burning fat" essentially changing my body, planning on running SSNLP and doing cardio 2-3 times per week to start vs the bro split/half assed "SS" routine I used to do minus the binging episodes. Do you have a recommended TDEE calculator to use? Thanks for any guidance and input.

Weight: 342lbs
    Height: 5'8"
    Waist: 48 inch Levi jeans
    Shirt: 2Xl-3XL Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCavazos View Post
    Long Story Short, I am FAT, I used to be much fatter. I started out at 440-450lbs at 5 foot 8, Male. I am now 29, hovering around 330-340lbs after a year of going to the gym not really on any sort of set program. I am struggling with binge eating, but I've been able to reign it in as of late. I'm in the process of reading the Blue book, but what I really need guidance in is nutrition, which is why I am here. I basically lost the majority of weight so far through calorie restriction and doing a typical bro split 5 days a week, but I am not strong, Current 5RM Bench:175, Squat:225, OHP:125, Deadlift:335, and I'm still fat, I want to change that. From what I have read so far in the book, and from doing some basic research online, SSNLP is the most optimal when the trainee is an underweight 150 lb kid wanting to get stronk. I am the reverse of that in spades.

How big of a caloric deficit should I be in to effectively progress in SSNLP while "losing weight, burning fat" essentially changing my body, planning on running SSNLP and doing cardio 2-3 times per week to start vs the bro split/half assed "SS" routine I used to do minus the binging episodes. Do you have a recommended TDEE calculator to use? Thanks for any guidance and input.

Weight: 342lbs
    Height: 5'8"
    Waist: 48 inch Levi jeans
    Shirt: 2Xl-3XL Shirt
    Thanks for posting buddy. First, congratulations on the massive fat loss you've accomplished. Not an easy feat my man. So if you read the blue book you will see that the person in your shoes is actually in the best spot to get strong and you can lose fat along the way. I can't really tell you what your macro needs are without working closely with you and if you suffer from binge eating disorder then I definitely cannot advise unless you are being followed by a mental health professional.

Thanks for responding. I recently used a TDEE calculator, and without having any type of calipers or accurate way of measuring my bodyfat percentage, based on my weight and height BMI puts me at 51, so I inputted my Body fat percentage as 51 percent. When I calculated everything my tdee came out to roughly 3100 calories for maintenance, and recommended 2600 for cutting weight. This seems like a lot, would consuming 2300 calories put me at a training disadvantage or should I consume 2600 and just add in more conditioning throughout the week? Should I run 2600 calories for a couple weeks and then monitor my weight? Would dropping more than 2lbs per week be excessive? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCavazos View Post
    Thanks for responding. I recently used a TDEE calculator, and without having any type of calipers or accurate way of measuring my bodyfat percentage, based on my weight and height BMI puts me at 51, so I inputted my Body fat percentage as 51 percent. When I calculated everything my tdee came out to roughly 3100 calories for maintenance, and recommended 2600 for cutting weight. This seems like a lot, would consuming 2300 calories put me at a training disadvantage or should I consume 2600 and just add in more conditioning throughout the week? Should I run 2600 calories for a couple weeks and then monitor my weight? Would dropping more than 2lbs per week be excessive? Thanks.
    Ultimately, without a metabolic test done you won’t be able to effectively calculate your energy needs. I’d suggest first figuring out how much you eat to maintain your current body weight and subtract that number from there. First from fats, then carbs. Training is secondary in your situation but definitely try to keep carbs as high as possible for as long as possible. At some point you’ll figure out what is ideal for you when weight loss becomes more of a headache than it’s worth