starting strength gym

Thread: Please help?

Default Please help?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

Wondering if you might please be able to shed some light on a weird phenomenon I’ve been experiencing these past few days.

I’m currently on what I would class as a “clean bulk” and have been gaining steadily at slightly above .5kg per week

I track my weight daily (always under the same conditions) and then work out the average at the end of the week

My diet is the same every week and I maintain it religiously.

The strange thing is, I now seem to be losing weight… Initially I thought perhaps this was just a fluctuation of water weight or something like this, but I’ve now been 4 days consistently lower than last week’s average (I’m talking about 0.8kg) All things being equal, is there a reason this could be happening?

I am currently in the midst of switching over to TM as I was reaching as far as LP would take me and having recovery issues, but I doubt that this could be the cause…

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Colt19 View Post
    Hi there,

Wondering if you might please be able to shed some light on a weird phenomenon I’ve been experiencing these past few days.

I’m currently on what I would class as a “clean bulk” and have been gaining steadily at slightly above .5kg per week

I track my weight daily (always under the same conditions) and then work out the average at the end of the week

My diet is the same every week and I maintain it religiously.

The strange thing is, I now seem to be losing weight… Initially I thought perhaps this was just a fluctuation of water weight or something like this, but I’ve now been 4 days consistently lower than last week’s average (I’m talking about 0.8kg) All things being equal, is there a reason this could be happening?

I am currently in the midst of switching over to TM as I was reaching as far as LP would take me and having recovery issues, but I doubt that this could be the cause…

Any ideas?
    Thanks for posting!

How much are you lifting? My thought is that if you are at the end of an LP you are probably expending more energy, which could be contributing. Push the food up because this is a very important time in your training.

Hi Robert, thanks very much for taking the time to read my message and reply; really appreciate it J

As for how much I’m lifting, I got my squat to 265x5x3 Bench 175x5x3 Press 105x5x3 and Deadlift to 330x5 on the SS structure. My weight is 180lbs and height is 178cm, age 28.

Unfortunately I injured my lower back (fortunately pretty minor) while doing squats, which I’d chalk up to bad form while lifting too tired/fatigued… Part of my decision to move on to TM, I’ve had to deload my squats and deadlifts and I’m currently working them back up to where they were. Figured if I was going to deload, might as well use the opportunity to jump on to a new program and start with “room to grow” Hence started Texas method last week.

I added a small meal yesterday in the hopes of getting the scale moving again, weighed myself this morning and I’m at 81.8kg which is precisely what I’ve been for the last 5 days.

Hi Robert, thanks very much for taking the time to read my message and reply; really appreciate it J

As for how much I’m lifting, I got my squat to 265x5x3 Bench 175x5x3 Press 105x5x3 and Deadlift to 330x5 on the SS structure. My weight is 180lbs and height is 178cm, age 28.

Unfortunately I injured my lower back (fortunately pretty minor) while doing squats, which I’d chalk up to bad form while lifting too tired/fatigued… Part of my decision to move on to TM, I’ve had to deload my squats and deadlifts and I’m currently working them back up to where they were. Figured if I was going to deload, might as well use the opportunity to jump on to a new program and start with “room to grow” Hence started Texas method last week.

I added a small meal yesterday in the hopes of getting the scale moving again, weighed myself this morning and I’m at 81.8kg which is precisely what I’ve been for the last 5 days.
    Sorry about your back man! So my thought is that you need to really push your body weight up reasonably quick. I don’t think you need to be on TM just yet but you do need to gain weight to run a proper lp. Even if you stay on TM the low body weight will limit you once it gets heavy. Cannot stress this enough.

Thanks once again for your response
    To be honest I've been of two minds about switching to TM as im concerned my lifts aren't yet heavy enough. The flipside is that in a way ive been doing a bastardized version of it as my recovery has not allowed for me to loft my heaviest weights 3x a week.

Anyway, ill just keep trying to push on. What weight would you recommend i try to push my body weight up to? I'm trying to keep fat to a minimum hence the slow bulk, but ive bumped my calories to 3000 daily... still seem to be at a bit of a standstill though

Thanks once again for your response
    To be honest I've been of two minds about switching to TM as im concerned my lifts aren't yet heavy enough. The flipside is that in a way ive been doing a bastardized version of it as my recovery has not allowed for me to loft my heaviest weights 3x a week.

Anyway, ill just keep trying to push on. What weight would you recommend i try to push my body weight up to? I'm trying to keep fat to a minimum hence the slow bulk, but ive bumped my calories to 3000 daily... still seem to be at a bit of a standstill though
    If you are 178 cm, you need to get to at least 91 kg and re-evaluate. What is your macro breakdown?

All my macros are written down on my pc at work unfortunately, and its the weekend here. But from memory its something around 40/30/30 protein/carb/fat. All very clean and pretty much the same two meal plans alternating each day, this includes half gomad.
    I was on around 2700 calories, but ive bumped it to 3000 since my weight plateaued. Im not sure what my bf% is but i wouldnt really be comfortable with it being much higher than it is now, i have i guess you could say a 4 pack? But really only visible in the right light and at the right time lol

All my macros are written down on my pc at work unfortunately, and its the weekend here. But from memory its something around 40/30/30 protein/carb/fat. All very clean and pretty much the same two meal plans alternating each day, this includes half gomad.
    I was on around 2700 calories, but ive bumped it to 3000 since my weight plateaued. Im not sure what my bf% is but i wouldnt really be comfortable with it being much higher than it is now, i have i guess you could say a 4 pack? But really only visible in the right light and at the right time lol
    Just start eating a lot more food once the lifts get heavy. Make sure the calories match the demand of your workouts. If you are on a reset the extra calories are not justified. Once it starts getting to ~85% of where you left off start ramping back up and make damned sure you eat enough to get to 91 kg. If you are pushing all of your lifts up simultaneously then you should not be getting too fat

Awesome thanks man, gives me a far better sense of direction. I'll go ahead with your advice, thanks heaps for your time

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome thanks man, gives me a far better sense of direction. I'll go ahead with your advice, thanks heaps for your time
    You are very welcome!