starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight on SS

Question Gaining weight on SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, I'm 16 y/o I'm looking to get strong and bigger I wanted to know how much weight should I aim to gain per week while following SS?

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    Hi all, I'm 16 y/o I'm looking to get strong and bigger I wanted to know how much weight should I aim to gain per week while following SS?
    Height/weight/lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Height/weight/lifts?
    Height: 172cm (5'8")
    Weight: 135.5lb
    Squat: 80kg (176lb)
    Deadlift: 102.5kg (226lb)
    Bench press: 57.5kg (126lb)
    Overhead press: 31.5kg (69lb)
    Barbell row: 49kg (108lb)

These weights are the ones with I perform my 3 working sets of 5 reps.

Height: 172cm (5'8")
    Weight: 135.5lb
    Squat: 80kg (176lb)
    Deadlift: 102.5kg (226lb)
    Bench press: 57.5kg (126lb)
    Overhead press: 31.5kg (69lb)
    Barbell row: 49kg (108lb)

These weights are the ones with I perform my 3 working sets of 5 reps.
    Are you missing lifts yet? You need to get up to 155 for starters. If you aren't getting strong there then try 175 etc. At your height 185 works pretty well but you'll have to go slow since it's a 50 lb gain we are talking about. The point is, do not stay anywhere near 135.5 lb.

Are you missing lifts yet? You need to get up to 155 for starters. If you aren't getting strong there then try 175 etc. At your height 185 works pretty well but you'll have to go slow since it's a 50 lb gain we are talking about. The point is, do not stay anywhere near 135.5 lb.
    Well a month ago I was following another linear program (Candito Linear Program) but I failed at the same time squat and deadlift, so I decided to change to starting strength and leave that other program for later on the road, since it's for a more advanced novice, since I started SS I haven't failed, maybe it's because I started with lighter weights than what I was working, but I'm catching up to where I was. Yeah first goal was to hit 150 and my plan it's to hit it at the beginning of next year, that would mean gaining roughly half a pound per week, do you think that's a good approach?

Well, I must start saying that before doing SS I was doing another LP program (Candito Linear Program), I followed this program for about 3 months until I failed at the same time squat and deadlift, it was at that point that I decided to change to SS because the other program was for a more advanced novice. Since I started SS I haven't failed any of my lifts, but maybe that's because I started ligther than what I used to lift in order to get used to the program.
    My goal was to get to 150 by january-february of next year, that means gaining roughly half a pound per week, I've been doing that correctly for the last 4 months, do you think this is a good approach? or should i change something?
    Thanks.

Well a month ago I was following another linear program (Candito Linear Program) but I failed at the same time squat and deadlift, so I decided to change to starting strength and leave that other program for later on the road, since it's for a more advanced novice, since I started SS I haven't failed, maybe it's because I started with lighter weights than what I was working, but I'm catching up to where I was. Yeah first goal was to hit 150 and my plan it's to hit it at the beginning of next year, that would mean gaining roughly half a pound per week, do you think that's a good approach?
    Well, I must start saying that before doing SS I was doing another LP program (Candito Linear Program), I followed this program for about 3 months until I failed at the same time squat and deadlift, it was at that point that I decided to change to SS because the other program was for a more advanced novice. Since I started SS I haven't failed any of my lifts, but maybe that's because I started ligther than what I used to lift in order to get used to the program.
    My goal was to get to 150 by january-february of next year, that means gaining roughly half a pound per week, I've been doing that correctly for the last 4 months, do you think this is a good approach? or should i change something?
    Thanks.
    You need to get to 150 by next month. You are very under muscled so in your case rapid weight gain is useful provided that your lifts are going up.

You need to get to 150 by next month. You are very under muscled so in your case rapid weight gain is useful provided that your lifts are going up.
    Really? That fast? All of that will be basically fat, don't get me wrong but I do want to get stronger but not too fat in a short period of time.

Really? That fast? All of that will be basically fat, don't get me wrong but I do want to get stronger but not too fat in a short period of time.
    Unlikely given your low baseline lean mass. The less you start out with the more potential to gain.

starting strength coach development program
    Unlikely given your low baseline lean mass. The less you start out with the more potential to gain.
    Oh okay, so in those terms how much weight do you recommend me to gain per week/month?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast