starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Ideas

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Good job on tracking.

Note: CARBS ARE NOT EVIL. If you have to keep your carbs low for compliance reasons, fine, but only keep them as low as necessary to keep you on the straight and narrow. Eat some of them a little bit before training.
    My pre-op workout meal this week has been oatmeal made with 1/2 cup rolled oats comes with 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup cherries, I diced apple, 2 oz almonds, and 3 packets of Splenda. I eat it cold about an hour before I get off work and it is absolutely delicious. I'll have coffee as I'm leaving work. 45 min later, I'm lifting.

Too much protein?

I've been eating close to 250 grams of protein a day. 30 of those grams are coming from protein powder. Waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    Too much protein?

I've been eating close to 250 grams of protein a day. 30 of those grams are coming from protein powder. Waste of money?
    No, you're ok. You may not need that much, but protein takes some energy to digest, and also helps with satiety. You may not need 250g, but it's not hurting you.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    Too much protein?

Meh, probably a lot of protein for you. You could put those calories towards carb and fat. Do you need the protein powder to make your meals work? If not, then its pretty much pointless for the most part, although it won't hurt.

A PB Banana Chocolate Protein Smoothie tastes wicked with the 1/2 lb hamburger and 2 cups of broccoli that I tend to eat after coming home from the gym. 😄

Should I wait to get my weight under a certain number before adding a little creatine to my diet?

One more thing.. This month, in respect to my body weight, I netted a loss of exactly one pound. Because I thought I would run into this, I started taking measurements 2 weeks ago and can say that despite only losing that one pound, I have lost an inch around both my neck and my waist.

I think that is pro good and am tempted to leave my calorie target alone for now in MyFitnessPal. It currently recommend 3400 cal/day.

Creatine now and forever. 5g a day is fine.

Waist is much more important than bodyweight. But you're going to need to go down in bodyweight eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Creatine now and forever. 5g a day is fine.

Waist is much more important than bodyweight. But you're going to need to go down in bodyweight eventually.
    Thank you. In regards to weight, my thought is to maintain current calories and continue to gain strength and hopefully muscle. And hopefully that extra muscle burns extra calories so that if I stay at this current intake, my weight will have no choice but to go down. Is that a reasonable expectation or is therefore a point when I should decide to cut weight? I don't want to kill my strength gains but cutting my calories to a point where they don't support my recovery.

Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's a plan: work the novice linear progression as hard as you can. Do not increase calories beyond your current level. When you exhaust your novice gains, drop the carbs/fat and go down to 3000 cal/day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast