starting strength gym

Thread: What milk products have "the magic", and what doesn't?

Default What milk products have "the magic", and what doesn't?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, I've read some of the posts on milk. Experienced coaches say it helps build muscle that you can't replicate from other sources. Not scientifically proven, but I accept it as true - SSCs have worked with enough people to know.

As a former-obese "master", GOMAD is out of the question. However, I have been trying to incorporate as much dairy as I can into my diet, within the constraints of my macros, usually hitting 12-24% of protein/calories from dairy.

What dairy products have this "magical" ability, and what doesn't?

Whole milk obviously does - that's GOMAD, but the texts don't go beyond that.

What about skim-milk? Yogurt(AKA predigested milk)? Real whole-fat cheese? Lowfat/nonfat cheese? Processed cheese food or cheese product? Whey protein powder? Protein-enhanced low-carb milk (like Fairlife or Kroger Carbmaster)?

I've been tracking the amount of dairy in my diet with the hopes of increasing it, but none of it is from whole milk. It's mostly yogurt, nonfat cheese product, and ultra-filtered nonfat milk.

-->Adam

1) I don't know that it's magical. But it's cheap and convenient, has a good amino acid profile with all nine essential amino acids, has lots of leucine, and is "mammal growth juice."

2) Skimming the fat out won't change that.

3) All of those foods are going to have a good amino acid profile. I wouldn't worry too much about the "magic".

Thank you. Got it.

Milk protein: Good.
    Lactose and milkfat: Not bad, but not super-good either. Just like any other food.

-->Adam

Gallon of milk = 2400 calories, 192g carbs comprised of 176g sugar (lactose?), 128g fat, and 128g protein.
    compare that to
    10 cups of cottage cheese = 1100 calories, 50g carbs comprised of 40g sugar, 45g fat, and 120g protein.

10 cups of cottage cheese is like gallon of milk minus a bunch of fat and sugar. That much cottage cheese every day is a lot more expensive than a gallon of milk and might plug you up.
    Maybe just 2 cups for breakfast and a whey shake later in the day?

Thinking of that much cottage cheese makes me sad.

Pro tip: cottage cheese mixed with a handful of dried cranberries==doesn't suck.