starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In The Army!

Default In The Army!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, I understand the motive behind eating for size and thus gaining wait then losing it at the appropriate time. However, I do not have this luxury. If I gain the weight, fail my height and weight testing in the Army then I face being separated from the Army. A bit about me, I am a 43 yo male. I have been "lifting weigths" with little consistency for about the last 25 years with VERY LITTLE progress. Having recently discovered starting strength and now training properly, I consider myself a novice. I am about 6' 1 and 1/2" and 239 lbs. My BF % is about 30%. Any advice you can give to gain strength and lose fat is appreciated. Given my career, I cannot afford to gain weight.

Let's lift with more consistency and more progress.

What's your waist size?

The easiest and most failsafe way to do this is to track your macros. It's a pain in the ass for about a month, but it works. If you are accustomed to discipline, then it's not hard. Take your waist and weight measurements at the beginning and end of a week, but during the week track every bit of food and calorie-bearing drink you put in your mouth. There are apps for this. If you kept your weight the same, take the calorie number as your baseline. Get 220g protein, 80g fat (or so), and enough carbs to make up the difference. Good things will probably happen with your waistline. If you want to get skinnier, take some carbs away. Titrate as necessary.

Typical Army running is deadly for strength training, so avoid it. If you have to do the PT test, start training for it a month or so out from the test, and then go back to strength training after the test.

Thanks! Agreed on the consistency! I've been much better the last couple of months. My waist is about 41 inches. One thing I'm not understanding in your reply is the calorie number baseline you mentioned.

Also, is 80g of fat enough?

What do you think of these numbers? CALS: 2581 PROTEIN: 220g NET CARBS: 28g FAT: 80-100 g

Hit the numbers for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Adjust as necessary. They look fine, but I don't know your metabolic needs. For some people 2581 calories will be too much, for some not enough.

Thanks!!

When calculating protein should I base that off of my total body weight or lean body mass? I have access to accurate BF measurements.

220 is probably good. The protein will make you less hungry.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    So, I understand the motive behind eating for size and thus gaining wait then losing it at the appropriate time. However, I do not have this luxury. If I gain the weight, fail my height and weight testing in the Army then I face being separated from the Army. A bit about me, I am a 43 yo male. I have been "lifting weigths" with little consistency for about the last 25 years with VERY LITTLE progress. Having recently discovered starting strength and now training properly, I consider myself a novice. I am about 6' 1 and 1/2" and 239 lbs. My BF % is about 30%. Any advice you can give to gain strength and lose fat is appreciated. Given my career, I cannot afford to gain weight.
    Wait a minute. Something doesn't add up here. Are you already in the Army, or are you going to be joining the Army?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast