starting strength gym

Thread: Weight Gain and Loss

Default Weight Gain and Loss

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was listening to an old Barbell Logic podcast on the way to an account this morning and I hear Matt Reynolds say that if you are doing SSLP and not gaining weight you are not gaining muscle. I need some help understanding this.

Is this an absolute or is it one possible outcome?

If you are an underweight individual and lifting hard, then I understand that if you are not gaining weight you are not gaining muscle.

I'm an overweight individual, 5'10", 210, and 32% bf when last tested in June 18. I'm losing waist measurement and holding my weight at 210. Does that mean I'm not adding muscle? I though I was losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time.

Please help me understand how this works if you are over weight.

You're gaining muscle. The absolute statement applies to skinny people. Rip says somewhere that you've already created the conditions for growth.

However, I'm curious about the 32% number. How did you determine it?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    I'm curious about the 32% number. How did you determine it?
    Dexa scan, DEXA Scans & Body Fat Testing | DexaFit

I also have the hand held electronic device and the scale that read. They both said 28 or 29 at the time. From what I've read and hear, the Dexascan is about as accurate as water displacement without the discomfort. I'm scheduled to go back around 12/15 to do it again and see the difference.

For anyone reading and in a similar situation. I recommend the Dexascan, VO2 max, and RMR testing to get real bench marks that you benefit from in real time and also after months of review. Dexascan is body fat which is really only a benchmark. VO2 max gave me a benefit of cardio vascular benchmark and also an absolution bpm for the shift from aerobic to anaerobic. Not that helpful for SSLP but very handy for conditioning training. Lastly the RMR tells you how many calories a day your body really needs to maintain your current weight.

I'm curious to hear other's value or lack of value for these and any other testing.

I'd love to get one of the Nakelabs scanners but I'm not willing to pay the $1500, I need a squat rack at home first, hahaha

Why didn't my reply to your question get posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Why didn't my reply to your question get posted?
    Because it was a holiday week, and I've been busy.