starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of cutting. Talk me out of it?

Default Thinking of cutting. Talk me out of it?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    M 45 yrs old. 6'1" 225-230 BW. Recent Pr's 305 bench 175x3 press 365x5 squat 385x4 DL. I play a lot of rec sports : baseball/basketball of and on during the year. I feel and play better and have more stamina at a lighter weight, but at the same time really enjoy PR's in the weight room. Having a hard time deciding what to do. If I cut, would be down to 205-210.

I've started cutting the last week going with 225g+ P 200 ish carbs (mostly fiber) 50 fats. It's only 1 week in but feeling pretty good especially since I'm taking in a much higher rate of fiberous carbs. Do you think it's possible to do any further re-comp/strength gains at my current BW?

Currently training 3 day HLM with 1-2 days on the bike for intervals. Maybe up the conditioning for better field stamina? Suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks for sharing buddy. Your PRs are pretty dang good and you are at a good BMI for a lifter. My question is why is your deadlift only 385 x 4? Let's start there before we go any further.

Good question. I'm a bit anal about this lift and have endlessly messed around with foot stance and width, lifting shoes/flats etc. So a lot of resets. Some days it flys off the floor and others the same weight won't budge. I've tried all kinds of programming with the DL from 1x5 on a single day per week up to 3 pulls per week. I know that high volume DL or it's variants is not good for me. I've been training with a SS style deadlift at least 2 years and form is rock solid all flat back pulls. Would love any suggestions there.

What does your squat programming look like? Have you experimented with heavy deficit pulls?

My squat has responded best to 3 day per week programming. TM has yielded my best all-time Pr last year at 385x3. 4 day splits have given me the upper body PR's but not as kind to squats/pulls. Currently doing a HLM 4x5 H 2x5 L 3x5 m for squats and plan to rotate in heavy triples through singles on the heavy day, but just started this setup. Haven't done deficits but have done quite of bit of SLDL as volume/medium work on past training blocks. SLDL have worked for a time but eventually they have gotten the better of me and have regressed on my primary DL.

Forgot to note. About the same time on TM that I hit the 385x3 squat I hit my all time DL PR of 410x3. At that point I was doing monday SLDL 3x5 with about 315 but the volume day squat and the SLDL eventually burried me and no longer could hit PR's on Fridays. The 385x4 DL is my best in the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    Forgot to note. About the same time on TM that I hit the 385x3 squat I hit my all time DL PR of 410x3. At that point I was doing monday SLDL 3x5 with about 315 but the volume day squat and the SLDL eventually burried me and no longer could hit PR's on Fridays. The 385x4 DL is my best in the last 6 months.
    This makes a little more sense then. So on a good day you can hit that for 5+. 4 day splits work well so I’d run with that but I’d still chase a bigger deadlift than what you have and you may be able to accomplish that while cutting.

I agree that I can probably move the DL up while cutting. Just got the SS Texas Power bar and so far pulls seem much easier with the grip on that bar. What do you thing of my macro setup from the OP in this thread? What general % of your carbs do you recommend to be fiberous ? Thank you very much for your time and suggestions!

That barbell is a fine piece of steel. The knurling is truly unique. I'd like you eating closer to 300 g of carbohydrate with at least 40 g of that fiber. That seems to work well for most male lifters.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That barbell is a fine piece of steel. The knurling is truly unique. I'd like you eating closer to 300 g of carbohydrate with at least 40 g of that fiber. That seems to work well for most male lifters.
    Got it. Will have to keep fats real (60 or less G) low in order to facilitate a deficit. I haven't ever done the combo of high carb low fat. Excited to see how performance goes. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast