starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor persons starting strength mealplan suggestions

Default Poor persons starting strength mealplan suggestions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So this is something I’d like some input on. In connection with the Starting Strength program, what would a meal plan/meals look for someone who is dirt poor? I mean REALLY POOR and at the beginning of their fitness journey?

I would say as cheap as you can get it. Is it even possible to get the price down to sub $200.00/mo or less, or for it to be balanced?

Please feel free to leave any suggestions on meals, or mealplan setups. I’ll be happy to clarify any details you might need.

Thanks and happy to be apart of this community!

Thanks for posting. This is one of those situations where the gallon of milk could do you well. Maybe not whole but consider how one gallon is $3 per day on the expensive end of the price range for milk. That is $90 per month and contains 192 g carbohydrate and 128 g of protein for 1200-2400 calories depending on the fat content. Once protein is figured out it isn’t difficult to accumulate decent carbs (e.g. canned beans, whole grains, veggies etc) for $120 per month.

I've been using "Muscle Feast Whole Oat Powder", it's just ground up oats. Before that I was soaking rolled oats in milk and blending them but this is way easier and cheaper. If you buy 8 pounds off amazon its $2.30 per 1000 calories, and whole oats are pretty damn healthy from my understanding, not to mention a great macronutrient profile for starting strength.

Yes but they are not complete sources of protein.

If you really, really need to go cheap, get roasted soybeans from a farm supply place. It's generally meant for livestock, but is totally safe for human consumption, and roasted soybeans aren't that bad with a bit of salt.

Again, not recommending this (I don't do it), but it does have loads of complete protein, carbs, and fat for really cheap. Makes milk look expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    If you really, really need to go cheap, get roasted soybeans from a farm supply place. It's generally meant for livestock, but is totally safe for human consumption, and roasted soybeans aren't that bad with a bit of salt.

Again, not recommending this (I don't do it), but it does have loads of complete protein, carbs, and fat for really cheap. Makes milk look expensive.
    Not ideal but you are correct

I’ve seen liver mentioned before in a similar discussion. If you’re living in America, butchers often can’t find customers to buy liver and organ meat, which can be delicious when cooked properly. That means you can swoop in and get it for a fraction of what it’s worth. Just watch out for vitamin A poisoning - it shouldn’t be a majority part of your diet, but a little every day is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Yes but they are not complete sources of protein.
    Should I not be counting them (oats) towards my protein goals of ~230 grams of protein? I get most of the rest of my protein from whey, milk, meat and peanut butter (in that order).

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I’ve seen liver mentioned before in a similar discussion. If you’re living in America, butchers often can’t find customers to buy liver and organ meat, which can be delicious when cooked properly. That means you can swoop in and get it for a fraction of what it’s worth. Just watch out for vitamin A poisoning - it shouldn’t be a majority part of your diet, but a little every day is fine.
    The pricing is certainly cheap. Learned this on a visit to see Reynolds. He said the butcher stopped sending him the meat with the organic intact because other customers weren't interested so he sells them to him now at a low cost from my understanding. He may have more to add to this. It's good stuff. Vitamin A toxicity is only really a problem if you eat polar bear liver, which you should NEVER eat because it is a lethal dose.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by solpic541 View Post
    Should I not be counting them (oats) towards my protein goals of ~230 grams of protein? I get most of the rest of my protein from whey, milk, meat and peanut butter (in that order).

You should count them but not rely on them. How much animal protein are you getting per day if you had to guesstimate it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast