starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I be getting more out of LP?

Default Can I be getting more out of LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

I've been doing the novice program for 10 weeks and the weights have been going up very well, but have reached a point where I feel like I should be transitioning to advanced novice programming as the weight increases are slowing down and the squat and deadlift are getting heavy.

However, I'm at a bit of a crossroads as I've gone from 175 to 190, so I'm realising the body weight increases haven't quite kept pace with the weight on the bar as it's supposed to.

Are there any simple and realistic solutions you could advise that will help increase the rate of weight gain?

(Some information you may need:

- Squat has gone from 70-142 for 3x5
    - Press 40 to 62.5
    - Bench 62.5 to 93.75 for 3x5
    - Deadlift 90 to 162 for 5
    - Power clean 50 to 70 for 5x3

I've been eating 3 good meals a day plus 1 to 1.5 litres of whole milk and snacks etc.

I'm willing to make any necessary changes that aren't too big at once.)

Thanks for sharing. How much protein and carbohydrate are you consuming?

Protein would be at least 200g (on days I don't train I might not have a protein shake so that number would be down 25g).
    Carbohydrates would be at least 450g.

Sean,

How old are you?

How many days a week are you training?

Looking at your squat and deadlift numbers you only have averaged adding 7.2 pounds per week on the bar. Seems like it should have been more given you are in LP. You may not be getting enough stimulus to drive the growth you want.

cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    Protein would be at least 200g (on days I don't train I might not have a protein shake so that number would be down 25g).
    Carbohydrates would be at least 450g.
    How tall are you? You should not be stuck where you are. Have you posted videos on the coaches forum? I’m wondering if this is technical or mental in nature. Are you eating this much food 7 consecutive days per week?

If I may chime in, Robert?

Sean, I assume you stated your bodyweight in pounds? And the working weights, are those pounds or kilograms? I ask because normally, in the UK, you'd use kg and the numbers would make more sense then, especially bench with two decimal places.
    Also, how old are you?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How tall are you? You should not be stuck where you are. Have you posted videos on the coaches forum? I’m wondering if this is technical or mental in nature. Are you eating this much food 7 consecutive days per week?
    6'2". I've posted a few power cleans as I was having difficulty with those at first, but no other lifts. Those numbers are generalized, but yes, it'd be safe to assume I'd be getting in at least that every day.

I'm not really stuck with the weight on the bar, it's the rate of body weight gain I'm concerned isn't sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Plant View Post
    6'2". I've posted a few power cleans as I was having difficulty with those at first, but no other lifts. Those numbers are generalized, but yes, it'd be safe to assume I'd be getting in at least that every day.

I'm not really stuck with the weight on the bar, it's the rate of body weight gain I'm concerned isn't sufficient.
    It may not be at your height. You’ll have better leverage at 230 lb. That being said, you should still be lifting more than what you are reporting here unless you are reporting kilos (are you?).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It may not be at your height. You’ll have better leverage at 230 lb. That being said, you should still be lifting more than what you are reporting here unless you are reporting kilos (are you?).
    Yes I am, sorry. My body weight is 190lbs, and the lifts are in kgs.

starting strength coach development program
    This makes a lot more sense. Stay consistent with your units of measure next time and include them beside the numbers. Your numbers aren't terrible for your body composition and at this point you need to consider either gaining more bodyweight or moving an intermediate program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast