starting strength gym

Thread: Protein Intake ?

Default Protein Intake ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Robert,

Quick question on target protein intake per day.

I've seen 1g/lb of body weight and I've seen 1g/lb of lean body mass (so my 200 lb self @ ~25% body fat would therefore shoot for 150g).

Can you clarify the target.

Thanks in advance.

I'd prefer 1 g/lb unless you are starting to weigh 250+. Typically most males will do fine with 200 g of protein. Additional protein can help balance the glycemic response and maximize fullness. You also have to factor in that the quality of some of the protein you consume won't be as high as others (plant versus animal). The only time I use LBM as a reference is if the person is morbidly obese. Very few people on this planet need 300 g of protein to make progress under the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I'd prefer 1 g/lb unless you are starting to weigh 250+. Typically most males will do fine with 200 g of protein. Additional protein can help balance the glycemic response and maximize fullness. You also have to factor in that the quality of some of the protein you consume won't be as high as others (plant versus animal). The only time I use LBM as a reference is if the person is morbidly obese. Very few people on this planet need 300 g of protein to make progress under the bar.
    All over the Internet there is this question and the most clear answer is here. Thank you

Glad you think so. You are very welcome.