starting strength gym

Thread: Protein and the flu

Default Protein and the flu

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Woke up this morning with a fever of 101.4 and all the classic symptoms of the flu, which I assume is my fault for not getting a flu shot. First time I’ve been meaningfully sick since I started training, curious about protein intake. Given that I can get a 2 scoop whey and water shake down and the classic advice is drink lots of fluids, is it better, worse, or no difference for my recovery and eventual return to the gym if my fluid intake includes ~200g grams of protein from whey?

200 grams of protein from whey is rather excessive. Can you eat any solid sources?

Yes but I live alone and my energy for food prep is almost non existent. But I’ll power through if you say so.

I've live alone too. Have since I was 19. It doesn't need to be complicated. Do you have a frying pan? Make 3 lb of ground beef at a time and put it in a Tupperware container. Should be cleaned out within a few days then you do it all over again. Can you swing something like that?

I see what you’re saying there. I can do that sort of thing usually but was hoping to avoid it while sick.

Another prep friendly and easy meal (If you have a rice cooker) is browned ground beef, toss in some onion and frozen corn, and then add some day old rice. Make a big old pot of this stuff, and it makes for an easy meal reheated in the microwave. One of those "one pot wonders" I use when the wife is out of town, and I don't want to cook (or more accurately...don't want to do dishes; I normally do the vast majority of the cooking in our house, but HATE doing dishes).

Anyways, just another thought/suggestion. (Plus rice is pretty easy on an unsettled stomach)

Quote Originally Posted by JakeWasHere View Post
    I see what you’re saying there. I can do that sort of thing usually but was hoping to avoid it while sick.
    You still want to get a decent balance of food:supplement. Remember the food contains useful micronutrients as well (e.g. zinc, b12).

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Another prep friendly and easy meal (If you have a rice cooker) is browned ground beef, toss in some onion and frozen corn, and then add some day old rice. Make a big old pot of this stuff, and it makes for an easy meal reheated in the microwave. One of those "one pot wonders" I use when the wife is out of town, and I don't want to cook (or more accurately...don't want to do dishes; I normally do the vast majority of the cooking in our house, but HATE doing dishes).

Anyways, just another thought/suggestion. (Plus rice is pretty easy on an unsettled stomach)
    A crockpot is another useful tool. Throw a bunch of meat in, turn it on, and let it do its thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    A crockpot is another useful tool. Throw a bunch of meat in, turn it on, and let it do its thing.
    Big upvote for the crockpot. I do almost all my meal prep with it.

Like Robert said: add meat, I usually put in potatoes and carrots, some chicken broth, tomato paste, seasoning, and in 5 minutes bam you got a stew going.

Don't be fooled by all the recipes online that tell you to brown the meat before putting it in to the crockpot. It's unnecessary and takes extra time/creates a pot or pan to wash.

starting strength coach development program
    Rather simple isn't it.