starting strength gym

Thread: Quick Q for Karl

Default Quick Q for Karl

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Karl - would you share what a typical day of eating looked like when you were losing weight? How many meals, what your general go-to food choices were? I'm curious how you structured things, how many meals, to what extent you relied on protein shakes etc.

Thanks,
    Don

Hi DC1:

I would nibble until midday, unless I was training in the morning. I still do this, which is a problem when I'm trying to gain mass, and get to 10:30pm with 1500 calories left. But I preferred to go to bed full. I don't mind being slightly hungry in the morning.

I used a lot of protein shakes because food $ goes up with protein content, and I'm cheap. I had a lot of chicken and rice. There are various ways to make it not suck so bad. Crockpot, chicken, vinegar based barbecue sauce makes a meal you can stomach. I wish I knew about sous vide cookers back then. Top round steak from ALDI (pronounced All-die) is good, if cooked rare.

I'd have to dig up records if you want more detail. I ate probably 5 meals a day, and hardly ever what my family ate. I ate near my family at meal times, but we didn't eat the same things. This is still mostly true.

Thanks Karl. No need to dig up records...the question was just meant as more high level what a typical day looked like.