starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To lose weight, or not.....

Default To lose weight, or not.....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark
    I am a 57 year old male weighin in at 140kg and 178cm short. I have type II diabetes and is using insulin to control that. I do not use alcohol and follow a diet of no carbs (by that I mean no crisps, bread, French fries or any food with high carb count) and no refined sugar.
    That is the background.

I have been using your program via the app religiously for the past month but is not losing weight. The only positive is that I am enjoying it and my blood glucose levels are more controlled.
    I understand the concept of gradual weight loss but 1kg in 6 weeks makes me morbid...
    What am I doing wrong? Is this type of exercise (which I enjoy immensely) not right for me?
    My target weight is about 115kg.

At 5'10" and 318lb, you're a chubby guy, and 250 might still be a little bigger than you want to be at your age. I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At 5'10" and 318lb, you're a chubby guy, and 250 might still be a little bigger than you want to be at your age. I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum.
    Chubby? I say it’s fat. And all of it sitting in the middle third, right where diabetics are curced.
    I am not well versed in this forum thing. What do you mean by moving to more appropriate forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    Chubby? I say it’s fat. And all of it sitting in the middle third, right where diabetics are curced.
    I am not well versed in this forum thing. What do you mean by moving to more appropriate forum?
    Coen - you are now in the nutrition forum since the issue falls in this realm. I am the moderator of this forum and also a RD, SSC. If you are not losing body fat then you need to bring down your total calories one way or another. You may be restricting carbohydrates but chances are you are still over your maintenance calories likely in the form of fat, which is easy to do depending on where you are getting your calories. Tell me more about what you eat day to day so we have a better idea of what is going on.

Breakfast:
    Wheat cereal halve cup

Lunch:
    125 grams shredded tuna with onion and mayo

Dinner:
    2-300 grams meat(chicken or beef-excess fat removed)
    Steamed veggies
    Green salad

5-6 coffees per day

That's sounds like a routine day where you aren't eating a whole lot. What about the days you go off plan?

I'm a bit curious about what isn't listed in the daily food listed here.

Do you have anything in your coffee? What volume is the cup? Do you have anything in the breakfast? How much mayo are you using? Are you cooking the meat in oil and if so, how much? Do you add dressing to the salad and if so, what kind and how much?

If it helps, I am your same height (5'10") and started the NLP on 10/10/2018 at almost 330#. It's been about 13 or 14 weeks and I'm down to about 304#. I started after the first month or so I got myself dialed into 2300 cal/day. Weight loss is a boy slower than I'd like if it was my only focus, but with the strength gains I am ok with the trade offs. I find sometimes I stay roughly the same 2 or 3 weeks in a row and might be down 3# the next. The other thing I measure is waist (down 4.5") I have had my wieght show the same as the previous week while my waist goes down.

The only time I go “off plan” is Friday night when I spoil myself with a hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    The only time I go “off plan” is Friday night when I spoil myself with a hamburger.
    This is where you need to focus your efforts. A net caloric deficit is needs to be maintained throughout the entire week in order for this to work.

starting strength coach development program
    I use low fat milk (only in coffee and cereal), xylitol sweetener. Low fat mayo, meat in oven otherwise olive oil.

The rest of your remarks got me thinking. I only started about 5 weeks ago. What happened so far is that my blood glucose dropped from a 14 avg to about 10 and I can feel my clothing getting looser. I will start measuring. Maybe this freight train needs time to turn direction?! Maybe I am not patient enough.

Just a question on the program itself. I set my progression weight at 2,5kg but I can already feel I am going to run out of steam soon. With all the info about me that you have in front of you what would be a sensible progression weight in my case?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast